Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Wireless card not recognized.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Wireless card not recognized.

    Hi, I downloaded/running the newer version of Knoppix. I am a mostly proficient windows user, having worked in tech support and crap.....but this is my first time with Linux. My problem is that I cannot get the system to recognize my wireless card, I am using ethernet to write this atm. My wireless card is a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter... model wpc54g version 2. When my ethernet needs a new ip address I click on the network card configuration and there are two there...eth 0 lan and eth 1 lan. The eth 1 lan is my ethernet card and it can get an ip through DHCP on my router. The wireless card doesnt do anything when I pick it to get an ip address. Looking around on the internet I found some command called wlcardconfig, when i type that into the command box i get "no wireless network card found". I'm not sure but I think I have to install the drivers which I don't know how to do. Thanks for hearing me out and let me know if you have any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35

    Re: Wireless card not recognized.

    Quote Originally Posted by ralien
    Hi, I downloaded/running the newer version of Knoppix. I am a mostly proficient windows user, having worked in tech support and crap.....but this is my first time with Linux. My problem is that I cannot get the system to recognize my wireless card, I am using ethernet to write this atm. My wireless card is a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter... model wpc54g version 2. When my ethernet needs a new ip address I click on the network card configuration and there are two there...eth 0 lan and eth 1 lan. The eth 1 lan is my ethernet card and it can get an ip through DHCP on my router. The wireless card doesnt do anything when I pick it to get an ip address. Looking around on the internet I found some command called wlcardconfig, when i type that into the command box i get "no wireless network card found". I'm not sure but I think I have to install the drivers which I don't know how to do. Thanks for hearing me out and let me know if you have any suggestions.
    I don't have great news for you, bec I don't know which chipset your card supports. However, I'm reasonably sure it is supported by this rev. 1st, check how far the kernel got in terms of recognizing the card: 'dmesg | less' The msgs pertaining to eth1 are the relevant ones (obviously), probably near the bottom of the log. There should be msgs which indicate the radio is up and running. Assuming the radio is operating, it should be a matter of setting up the wlan params. KWLAN is on the Internet sub-menu, which is the GUI way of setting up WiFi. I can't get to work for me, but then I already did my setup manually before trying it and I suspect that's the cause. There is also an NDISWRAPPER helper util on the Internet sub-menu.

    NDISWRAPPER is typically the route many have to take. In my case, I use Windows and HTTRACK (a free, off-line web page archiving util) to collect all of the pertinent info (using a working WiFi connection.) Then, I put my head down and started tinkering manually. The NDISWRAPPER Wiki was extremely helpful and in an hour or so, I was up and running. Now, I have a couple of scripts which boot the WiFi (a Broadcom 43xx-based Motorola WPCI825) and turn the box into a router ! I'm actually typing this msg using the Knoppix router, so keep the faith and be persistent. Good luck....

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless card recognized, but no connection
    By jh2858 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
  2. Wireless card not recognized
    By SpongeBob in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
  3. My wireless card is not recognized
    By gradnite in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:10 AM
  4. wireless card not recognized..still.
    By phantomshado in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
  5. Netgear wireless pc card not recognized
    By rosea in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99