-
Junior Member
registered user
username and password when trying to network
Hi there all,
I have a dead laptop (again) with WinXP Home on it. Plus a desktop wqith WinXP Pro.
I got knoppix up and running on the laptop - but cannot get a network sorted.
I am using static network addresses.
The machines can ping each other but when i try to connect using a smb share I get a requirement for the username and password. I have tried every combination of these i can think of yet the desktop still refuses the connection.
I created a user on the WinXP Pro desktop with the same usrname and pwd as the laptop running knoppix (i.e. usrnm: knoppix, pwd same as my root pwd). Still no joy - whenever I try to get a samba share it refuses saying incorrect username and password.
I found out about the knoppix-toram cheat and set this up on the desktop - so now i can get knoppix up and running on the desktop, then remove the disk and get it running on the laptop.
So now I had both machines running knoppix - "easy" I thought "now windoze will not refuse my connection. Since both machines are running knoppix they will network quicker than a rat out an aqueduct!"
Wrong - still the same message.
I must be doing something wrong which is very simple and I am sure I will kick mysaelf when some kind soul tells me what that is!
Yours in hope,
Fatcharlie.
Similar Threads
-
By labero in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
-
By stclaus in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM
-
By archiebald in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
-
By Atoz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
-
By hankster in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00