Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Reached file size limitation for customized Live DVD version

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Reached file size limitation for customized Live DVD version

    I've seen many posts regarding adding custom files to a "personalized" version of KNOPPIX and then burning a bootable iso image. I've been successfully doing this for some time, but recently hit what I think is a unique file size-type problem and I need an assist.

    In short I've been adding my personalized files to knx/source/KNOPPIX/var/www/myDirectory/ (it's a web app with lots of source files -- many of which MUST be writable after the image is booted) and then invloked the appropriate scripts to create the iso image. Here's the problem: I'm deploying rather large custom apps and all of a sudden my system hangs when trying to create the image. I've isolated the problem and know without a doubt the problem lies in the size of the iso I'm trying to create HOWEVER there are a few important facts:
    1. I'm well below the 4GB limit for a DVD version (right now the iso image (when it would last actually create) was at 2GB). I've not added anything more than small files, so again I KNOW I'm well below 4GB -- anticipate that I'm > 2GB but < 2.1GB.
    2. I do not think that my "work space" nor computing power is a problem as I'm using a 3.2Ghz CPU with 1GB RAM and a 1GB swap partition with PLENTY of room to compute and store the iso image.
    3. If I do a test wherein I delete a copuple of the larger files I'm adding to knx/source/KNOPPIX/var/www/myDirectory, then the iso image is created without a problem.

    Here's a copy of my script. I'm wondering if I need to modify anything to account for the large (approx 2GB) knoppix.iso that I'm attempting to create?

    #!/bin/sh

    # [BUILD ISO 9660 FILESYSTEM]
    # The following command build an ISO 9660 compressed filesystem
    # for use by the cloop driver.
    mkisofs -R -U -V "My Comapny Name Here" -publisher "More Company Info Here" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hdc1/knx/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hdc1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    # [MAKING THE FINAL CD-ROM IMAGE]
    # The following commands update the md5 hashes of the files
    # to be included in the ISO image.
    cd /mnt/hdc1/knx/master
    find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin -exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums

    # The following command create the ISO image. The completed
    # image will be: /mnt/hdc1/knx/knoppix.iso.
    cd /mnt/hdc1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /knoppix/knoppix.iso /mnt/hdc1/knx/master

    echo "Burn the following file to CD: /mnt/hdc1/knx/knoppix.iso"

    I could simply ass the files to the knx/master direcotry and add them to the iso image, but in doing so that are not located in the /UNIONFS/var/www/ directory once the CD boots. Instead, their simply located on the CD and are available at /cdrom/myDirectory and since they are on the CD in this matter, they are not writable and many of the files need to writable. Again, there are so many large files that I cannot simply copy these files to /var/www/ due to "space limitations" in RAM when running the live version.

    Would appreciate any help you can provide.

    Regards,
    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Additional info

    Forgot to provide these details as they may be important:

    The size of the knx/source/KNOPPIX dir/files is 1.8GB. The personal files I'm attempting to add to it by placing in knx/source/KNOPPIX/var/www/myDirectory are 1.3GB for a total of 3.1GB. Previous remastering attempts resulted in an iso image that was ~2GB. Again, when I added more files recently they were very small so the resulting image (should the remastering work) would most certainly be < 2.1GB.

    Again, need help figuring out why I can no longer create the sio image. Is it perhaps a limitation of mkisofs?

    Regards, John

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Gig FAT32 File Size Limit
    By uc2nluv in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
  2. K3b problems with temp file size
    By docgk1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
  3. Knoppix file size
    By blahman420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
  4. How can I change the persistent home file size?!
    By PsycoX in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 02:23 AM
  5. Max file size?
    By gretchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple III VisiCalc III User Manual & Reference Card UNTESTED picture

Vintage Apple III VisiCalc III User Manual & Reference Card UNTESTED

$175.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh M0116 Keyboard & A9M0331 Mouse ADB Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0116 Keyboard & A9M0331 Mouse ADB Tested Working

$125.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage APPLE EXTENDED KEYBOARD w/ Orange Alps Switches & Cable M0115 UNTESED picture

Vintage APPLE EXTENDED KEYBOARD w/ Orange Alps Switches & Cable M0115 UNTESED

$134.95



Apple IIGS A2S6000 Vintage Home Computer ~ (powers on) ~ picture

Apple IIGS A2S6000 Vintage Home Computer ~ (powers on) ~

$200.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh M0100 Mouse Beige One Button DB9 Made USA Untested picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0100 Mouse Beige One Button DB9 Made USA Untested

$59.99



Vintage Apple A2M2010 Monochrome Green Monitor For Parts Or Repair Only See Pics picture

Vintage Apple A2M2010 Monochrome Green Monitor For Parts Or Repair Only See Pics

$148.12



Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested picture

Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested

$99.00



Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different picture

Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different

$99.99