Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cant change locale and get rid of knopix auto-login

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Cant change locale and get rid of knopix auto-login

    I have just installed knoppix 5 onto one of my hard drive partitions.
    I used knoppix-installer (and choose knoppix style)

    I have two immediate problems:-

    i) My locale is still German but I would like english. In kde I have changed the setting for english but firefox menues are in German, as are terminal messages

    ii) I have created a new user from the terminall using adduser. However when booting my system is using kde auto-login and logging me in as user "knoppix"
    Do I have to add the service kdm to a default runlevel? I have looked in kde control centre and auto logon is not in use.


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    For the German issue.... make sure you are passing the " lang=us " (no quotes) to your bootloader.....

    Easy way to check is:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    From a terminal window.

    There is probably no way to get rid of the autologin as you chose the "knoppix" style install. This means it is a single user system that functions EXACTLY like the CD. You probably wanted a "Beginner System" which give you a multiuser system with full hardware detection. You can try this: (Again from a terminal window)
    Code:
     cd /etc/rc5.d/ ; sudo ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm
    Then reboot. I cant say it will change anything...nor can I say it wont break your system in some way. But it might give you what your looking for.


    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by onemyndseye
    For the German issue.... make sure you are passing the " lang=us " (no quotes) to your bootloader.....

    Easy way to check is:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    From a terminal window.

    There is probably no way to get rid of the autologin as you chose the "knoppix" style install. This means it is a single user system that functions EXACTLY like the CD. You probably wanted a "Beginner System" which give you a multiuser system with full hardware detection. You can try this: (Again from a terminal window)
    Code:
     cd /etc/rc5.d/ ; sudo ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm
    Then reboot. I cant say it will change anything...nor can I say it wont break your system in some way. But it might give you what your looking for.


    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

    Thanks, I did a fresh install using knoppix style and appended lang=uk to my grub menu.lst Now in English.

Similar Threads

  1. Disable auto login in Knoppix 6.2
    By rajasekaran in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
  2. Auto login for Root?
    By rhybeka in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 01:43 AM
  3. Auto login as root
    By dodgyville in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:38 AM
  4. How to change locale
    By Rivendell in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. A Live CD script for Auto Internet Login? (DSL)
    By bonecrusher in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 2-In-1 130000RPM Cordless Air Blower picture

Compressed Air Duster&Vacuum Cleaner, 2-In-1 130000RPM Cordless Air Blower

$69.64



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99