Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Why Java is always old on KNOPPIX?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Why Java is always old on KNOPPIX?

    Hi,

    I like KNOPPIX very much. I need it for my robotics hobby application.

    I've just downloaded new KNOPPIX (KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso) and I see that again Java (JRE) is not the newest on this CD.

    I always had such a problem with old Java on KNOPPIX.
    So many times I had this problem in the past - with KNOPPIX 3.x, 4.x, 5.0.

    And now I see that in 2007 KNOPPIX Java is 1.5.

    But modern version is 1.6.

    I even start to write my own HOWTO page - how to update Java on KNOPPIX.
    See:
    http://www.RoboHobby.com/how_to_upda...on_knoppix.jsp

    (I am afraid that this problem will be forever - old Java on new KNOPPIX)


    .

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Well I just ran
    java -version

    on both my knoppix 5.1.1 install and my windows xp home partition

    they both report:-
    java -version
    java version "1.5.0_10"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

    The same version. From what I remember a fresh install of XP starts with java 1.4
    The big question is what applications require java 1.6 ? Most of the java enabled web pages work happily with java 1.5.

  3. #3

    Current Java version is 1.6.

    Hi,

    There are a lot of additions in Java 1.6.
    For example, I like applets with 3D graphics - molecules, etc.

    Also I need embedded scripting - you can run JavaScript and some more of it's sub-versions directly in JVM.

    See list of changes on the SUN - what they added in the 1.6.

    For me it is important to run 3D right in the applet - to view the space, where the robot is going, I mean to view what is the 'mind' of the robot, what he think is around it.

    As I remember (Am I right?) in previous versions of Java there were no 3D (only 2D).
    And if you want to use 3D, you should use additional Java 3D API.

    With Java 1.6 it is possible to do right in the applet.
    By the way - this kind of 3D works even on the old PC, where you don't have modern video card.


    -----
    http://www.RoboHobby.com - Java brain for small J2ME robot with camera.
    Cell phone as a spy camera on your kite.

    .

  4. #4

    I installed JRE 1.6 on my KNOPPIX.

    Hi,

    I installed JRE 1.6 on my KNOPPIX live CD.
    Now it is possible to download it from ibiblio server.

    See:
    http://www.RoboHobby.com/robohobby_linux_live_cd.jsp

    .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM
  2. Uninstalling Java from knoppix
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 06:01 AM
  3. Java stuff in Knoppix
    By kendrew in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
  4. Runing Java on Knoppix
    By danieltaranta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 03:44 PM
  5. Is the java runtime(from SUN) included in KNOPPIX ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99