Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SAVING PREFERENCES FOR REBOOT?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    37

    SAVING PREFERENCES FOR REBOOT?

    I suppose this question has already been answered, but I'm not sure where to look for the answer.

    What is the program?

    How do you save that persistent preference file so the next time I reboot the DVD,

    I don't have to waste time changing preferences and options?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9

    Saving Preferences

    Open the main menu (lower left of your screen). Go to Knoppix-->Configuration-->Save Knoppix Configuration. Your hard drive is likely to be hdb1.
    Save.
    When you reboot again, at the prompt when it first starts up, type knoppix myconfig=scan or myconfig=/media/hdb1(assuming that's where you saved the config file.

    An even better practice is to save a whole permanent Home folder, also started at Menu-->Knoppix-->Configuration. The resulting file is much larger on your hard drive (I think about 250mb), but it will also save documents, additional software, and so forth.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    Further to creating a persistent home directory, this will only work if the hard drive is formatted as FAT, not NTFS, which is the standard for WIN NT/2000/XP.

    If the hard drive is NTFS, you can create a FAT partition; all warnings/cautions/'proceed at your own risk' applies. You should back up everything you can't leave without, and consider the possibility of a full reinstall/restore if something screws up.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ndb
    Further to creating a persistent home directory, this will only work if the hard drive is formatted as FAT, not NTFS, which is the standard for WIN NT/2000/XP.

    If the hard drive is NTFS, you can create a FAT partition; all warnings/cautions/'proceed at your own risk' applies. You should back up everything you can't leave without, and consider the possibility of a full reinstall/restore if something screws up.
    Not anymore. This is one of the significant updates of 5.1.x, documented in the changelog. That is, being able to save/restore to NTFS partitions. I've been saving/loading my config to my first hdrive partition (NTFS) for over a week now. Haven't seen a single disk check upon return to XP. This week, I added a swapfile to the mix, also on /dev/hda1. So far, so good. I'm not recommending using this facil, only pointing out that it has been working for me (and others I presume).....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    37
    I figured all this out, but what I didn't figure out is why there doesn't seem to be much of an option to save multiple persistent image files per harddrive? or For that matter, per computer system?

    Whenever I try and make another image it seems to insist I erase the old one.

    Someone ought to redesign the program to give is multiple configurations.

    We should be able to make multiple system configuration files instead of just one for all.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsatacrux
    I figured all this out, but what I didn't figure out is why there doesn't seem to be much of an option to save multiple persistent image files per harddrive? or For that matter, per computer system?

    Whenever I try and make another image it seems to insist I erase the old one.

    Someone ought to redesign the program to give is multiple configurations.

    We should be able to make multiple system configuration files instead of just one for all.
    Thou art correct. I hope I can get to that one soon. I've been doing the job manually and for the sake of expediency, I may turn it into a Python script, since Python is part of 5.11.

    Have you noticed the modified file/date stamp on your config.tbz ? The date never seems to change, until the file is completely replaced. Maybe I'm seeing things....

Similar Threads

  1. Not Saving Over reboot
    By newUser2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 07:18 AM
  2. Saving Konqueror Preferences
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 04:17 AM
  3. preferences on floppy?
    By fourtrackmind in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:20 AM
  4. saving modprobe settings for cd reboot
    By sminotti in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 09:25 PM
  5. saving preferences
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP picture

New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP

$560.15



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T picture

Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T

$249.99