-
What you all are saying makes sense and the LiveCD does whet my appetite for Linux---I'm totally new at this. Here's the tech problem I need to solve:
I rotate between work sites that only have terminals with embedded Windows XP and very little RAM. Some of them are networked, some are not. I need a portable OS & environment that I can take between work sites, specifically a database. I tried Portable OpenOffice but the java-based app is too bulky and slow and just isn't practical. Knoppix would be perfect if I can get a working database going, either MySQL or PostgreSQL. I have experience with web design using Access, SQL Server, PHP and MySQL. I know the basic shell commands and I'm not afraid to tinker. It sounds like I need to remaster Knoppix to put in either MySQL or postgreSQL. I have found the FAQ for this and will read it tonight.
Bottom line is: Any other ideas on how to solve this problem? Anything I missed or haven't thought about? In addition to the FAQ, can you recommend a good NOOB resource for customizing Knoppix?.
Thanks in advance
Similar Threads
-
By hunkychop in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
-
By mzee in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 17
Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
-
By Coume in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
-
By Coume in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 07:00 AM
-
By Terry@nz in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2
$7.84

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.59