Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Nvidia Drivers not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2

    Nvidia Drivers not working

    For the past 12 hours, I have tried everything I can think of to make nvidia drivers work. Installed from Nvidia web-site, Synaptic, apt-get, all I get is a black screen or errors. I installed the correct kernel source for 2.6.19, installed pkg-config and x.org sdk dev package, used dpkg-reconfigure and nvidia-xconfig ... every time get error that no usable screens are found - or just get black screen. Currently have installed Nvidia x86 v.1.0-9746, using 2.6.19 kernel and Nvidia GeForce 6200 card, Knoppix 5.1.1 installed to hdd

    At last boot, typed startx - got black screen, rebooted, edited xorg.conf changed driver from nvidia to nv, startx
    now getting several errors such as usr/lib/libnvidia-cfg.so.1 is not an ELF file, it has wrong magic bytes at start ... huh? I'm kinda new to linux ... didn't realize there were magic bytes. If anybody can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

    CJ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Hi, have a look at this tutorial for help:

    http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

    I now have Nvidia acceleration but all I did was run synaptic then installed following packages:
    nvidia-kernel-source
    nvidia-settings
    nvidia-glx
    nvidia-kernel (matched against my kernel version)

    You will find that synaptic automatically fills in the dependencies for you.

    After that I manually edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with changes as follows

    --in module section--
    Load "dbe" # Double Buffering Extension, very important.
    Load "glx" # GLX Extension.


    --in device section change driver from nv to nvidia as below

    Section "Device"

    ### Available Driver options are:-
    # sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
    # The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
    # Driver "nvidia"
    # BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "Sparkle"
    BoardName "Geforce 5700 Ultra"
    EndSection


    Restarted X server.

    When things go wrong, look for clues in var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/messages, chances are the nvidia module may not have been loaded.
    You can also try modprobe nvidia (as root) to prove this and
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    (to check if nvidia module has loaded)
    Hope that helps

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your help, however, I attempted to load the drivers with Synaptic, but wasn't offered the correct kernel version ... only 2.6.18.45 - which I did install only to get the same results. Spent most of today recovering from a hard drive error of unknown origin, was finally able to recover my partitions and boot the PC. Now, after exhausting all ideas, I cannot even get X to start. I install Nvidia drivers, use nvidia-xconfig ... or edit xorg.conf manually, or use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg ... no difference, screen goes black and freezes. I un-install nvidia drivers, change xorg.conf back, startx screen still goes black and freezes. I restored the xorg.conf file from a previous installation of Knoppix 5.1.1, didn't make any difference. Is there some other file I need to edit or is there a way to completely re-install X?? I don't want to re-install as I have lots of software and files on the drive and it took a long time to get settings tuned properly.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.


    Update ... I ran the script to determine which glx drivers I needed and the result was: no Nvidia card detected. That may be the source of the problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Kernel-source-2.6.19???

    I am using knoppix 5.1.1 with kernel 2.6.19 I cant find the source kernel with apt-get. Where do i find the kernel source?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    Re: Kernel-source-2.6.19???

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium444
    I am using knoppix 5.1.1 with kernel 2.6.19 I cant find the source kernel with apt-get. Where do i find the kernel source?
    It is stored in /usr/src directory on Knoppix DVD edition (Knoppix uses customized vanilla kernel).

Similar Threads

  1. Nvidia Drivers
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
  2. Help with 2.6.6 and Nvidia Drivers
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
  3. Nvidia drivers i tried all.......
    By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
  4. NVIDIA drivers....
    By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. nvidia drivers
    By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99