Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: KDM , Firefox, Kaffeine crash frequently in HD-install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8

    KDM , Firefox, Kaffeine crash frequently in HD-install

    Hi all,

    I have a knoppix 5.1 Hd install on my pc. My problem is Firefox, VLC, kaffeine and KDM are crashing often while I'm working and its really irritating.

    I think most packages from the Debian Testing ( Etch) group.

    Did anyone experience the same problem? How do we fix these?

    my pc configuration :

    Amd duron 800 Mhz,
    512 MB ram,
    64kb cache.

    Waiting for your responses.
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    That's interesting, I don't see them crash on a regular Debian Etch install. I wonder if there is anything to be learned from that.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    That's interesting, I don't see them crash on a regular Debian Etch install. I wonder if there is anything to be learned from that.
    Do you think its a problem with the hardware? I had used knoppix 5.0 earlier and it was very much stable even though all packages were from the Debian Testing group.


    Debian sarge works without any problems too.


    Can you suggest how I can look for the errors and how to interpret the log files?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I certainly can't rule out hardware problems with your computer. One obvious thing to try would be to boot up a Knoppix disc and type in memtest at the boot prompt. But if Debian works fine on the computer and installed Knoppix keep crashing then I suspect the OS that isn't really intened for installing to hard disk. On the other hand, if Debian crashed too then that give more knowledge.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Frequently cannot type boot options on Macbook
    By Wayne Wylupski in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
  2. Kaffeine on hd-install
    By towjamb in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 02:43 AM
  3. apt-get install kaffeine (issues)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 06:22 AM
  4. Install FireFox
    By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 10:39 PM
  5. crash on hd install
    By kjkostuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 06:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1539.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99