Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trouble Recovering Files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Trouble Recovering Files

    Hi all,

    I recently had a hard drive problem on my newest computer (about a year old now) and there are some files on there I would really like to be able to recover. I read up about Knoppix program just yesterday and managed to make the computer boot off a Knoppix cd. Entering the knoppix desktop I clicked on "Hard Disk [sda]", only to receive a message saying:

    Could not mount device

    The reported error was:

    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified.

    I am at a loss. I have been using this http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ guide. All I wish to do is get some files off that hard drive and on to a usb. Can anyone assist me with this problem? Are my files forever lost? I have spent a long long time to get this far and if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. If there is any info needed which I haven't given just ask.

    Thanks, Andrew

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Hard drive names

    Are you sure you tried to mount the correct drive? Internal drives on your computer would have carried a designation of "hda1", "hda2" for a primary drive, or for a secondary drive "hdb1" etc. An external USB drive would have been "sda1", "sda2", or "sdb1", etc. Once you have mounted the correct drives you should see a list of your files on the computers hard drive on one window and your USB on the other - it should be a simple matter of drag and drop to copy your files.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Well, when I'm in Knoppix heres what the desktop displays:

    Floppy

    Hard Disk
    [sda]

    Hard Disk
    [sdc1]

    Trash

    KNOPPIX

    and another KNOPPIX icon a bit to the left.

    The sdc1 is the usb flash drive I plugged in to try and transfer files to. I don't have a partitioned hdd. Still the way it came from the manufacturer. There isn't any hda1 on the screen.

    A friend of mine said something along the lines of "knoppix doesn't get along well with ntfs"...could this be the reason I'm getting this error? Anyway, any more advice, much appreciated.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix can read NTFS partitions just fine, but it isn't considered safe to write to them.

    sda is not a partition, it's a hard drive. Since this is showing up and sda1 is not I suspect that you no longer have a valid partition on the disk. Assuming that you didn't already write to the ntfs partition with Knoppix, this still isn't a surprise; in my experience it's not just Knoppix that doesn't get along with ntfs - Windows doesn't seem to get along with it either. I have had 3 NTFS partitions destroyed by Windows in 3 years, two that I still can't recover. And from what I've seen of people coming here to try to recover data from NTFS partitions, it is a pretty common thing. Knoppix can often read data from a ntfs partition when windows can't, but obviously there can be cases where the data is so destroyed that even Knoppix can't help.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    ARGH!

    Man, that really sucks.....guess I've learnt my lesson as far as backing-up goes...

    So is there any other options I can try to get files off this thing? Someone told me about a program called getdataback, said he used it to recover some documents and pictures before. Thank you very much for the help you've given.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You might want to look at the Linux Live CD Helix, which has a number of forensic recovery tools. But I don't have any great suggestions (as I say, I still have 2 ntfs disks that I can't recover files from, so I'm far from an expert here).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    Depending on just what the problem is, you can try running TESTDISK. If you have the latest version of Knoppix ,but can not tell you how it run it (my version is old and it does not work). It will fix problems in the partition table and volume boot record on FAT or NTFS drives.

    (mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified.) problem is likely fixable with Testdisk.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yea, TopFarmer is giving good advice. I forgot about this, but there is also the gpart command that can sometimes recover a destroyed partition if the problem is a corrupt partition table and not a corrupt partition itself. See man gpart for details.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Wow, thanks for the advice. So you recommend I try:

    1. TESTDISK and then
    2. gpart

    Now I'm not very experienced in linux so I was wondering if you could give me a bit more information on just what testdisk and gpart are and how I should go about running them. I want to make sure I do it right. If you could possibly direct me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

    Thanks, Andrew

    *EDIT* Haha, i can't believe it was so simple...just then during boot of knoppix a line I hadn't seen before appeared saying: checking for hard disk partitions...something something..... any way the points is the partions are visible now on the desktop and I can access my files....YAY.

    Thank you all very much for your great help. Knoppix has been a lifesaver!

Similar Threads

  1. Need help recovering files from EXT3 after NTFS reformat
    By collectorx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 07:57 PM
  2. Recovering files from a WinXP machine
    By mikazo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM
  3. HELP on recovering files.....
    By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
  4. Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
  5. recovering files
    By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00