-
Reached file size limitation for customized Live DVD version
I've seen many posts regarding adding custom files to a "personalized" version of KNOPPIX and then burning a bootable iso image. I've been successfully doing this for some time, but recently hit what I think is a unique file size-type problem and I need an assist.
In short I've been adding my personalized files to knx/source/KNOPPIX/var/www/myDirectory/ (it's a web app with lots of source files -- many of which MUST be writable after the image is booted) and then invloked the appropriate scripts to create the iso image. Here's the problem: I'm deploying rather large custom apps and all of a sudden my system hangs when trying to create the image. I've isolated the problem and know without a doubt the problem lies in the size of the iso I'm trying to create HOWEVER there are a few important facts:
1. I'm well below the 4GB limit for a DVD version (right now the iso image (when it would last actually create) was at 2GB). I've not added anything more than small files, so again I KNOW I'm well below 4GB -- anticipate that I'm > 2GB but < 2.1GB.
2. I do not think that my "work space" nor computing power is a problem as I'm using a 3.2Ghz CPU with 1GB RAM and a 1GB swap partition with PLENTY of room to compute and store the iso image.
3. If I do a test wherein I delete a copuple of the larger files I'm adding to knx/source/KNOPPIX/var/www/myDirectory, then the iso image is created without a problem.
Here's a copy of my script. I'm wondering if I need to modify anything to account for the large (approx 2GB) knoppix.iso that I'm attempting to create?
#!/bin/sh
# [BUILD ISO 9660 FILESYSTEM]
# The following command build an ISO 9660 compressed filesystem
# for use by the cloop driver.
mkisofs -R -U -V "My Comapny Name Here" -publisher "More Company Info Here" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hdc1/knx/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hdc1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
# [MAKING THE FINAL CD-ROM IMAGE]
# The following commands update the md5 hashes of the files
# to be included in the ISO image.
cd /mnt/hdc1/knx/master
find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -not -name isolinux.bin -exec md5sum '{}' \; > KNOPPIX/md5sums
# The following command create the ISO image. The completed
# image will be: /mnt/hdc1/knx/knoppix.iso.
cd /mnt/hdc1/knx/master/KNOPPIX
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /knoppix/knoppix.iso /mnt/hdc1/knx/master
echo "Burn the following file to CD: /mnt/hdc1/knx/knoppix.iso"
I could simply ass the files to the knx/master direcotry and add them to the iso image, but in doing so that are not located in the /UNIONFS/var/www/ directory once the CD boots. Instead, their simply located on the CD and are available at /cdrom/myDirectory and since they are on the CD in this matter, they are not writable and many of the files need to writable. Again, there are so many large files that I cannot simply copy these files to /var/www/ due to "space limitations" in RAM when running the live version.
Would appreciate any help you can provide.
Regards,
John
Similar Threads
-
By uc2nluv in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
-
By docgk1 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
-
By blahman420 in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
-
By PsycoX in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-09-2003, 02:23 AM
-
By gretchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Radius Pivot II Display NuBus Video Card 632-0030
$149.00

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW
$1000.00

Vintage NICE Plus 486 USA Motherboard Intel i486 DX2 CPU Manual Expansion Card
$224.99

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99

Sun Microsystems Keyboard 3201256-01 Vintage Retro PC Computer PS/2 White w/Box
$135.00

DEC Vintage Controller Card Expansion Board with Multi-Edge Connectors
$99.99

Vintage Compaq Portable II Personal Computer 256K 5.25" disk 80286 9" GRN DOS 3.
$285.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

IBM KB-9910 104-Key PS/2 Wired Keyboard 37L2514 Beige Vintage Model
$49.99

VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE
$229.99