Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help me connect to the internet!!!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    Help me connect to the internet!!!!

    Well, I got the OS to recognize the WiFi card and actually communicate with the wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4); however, I still cannot connect to the internet. I get a message saying that server cannot be found - that is, when I go to the browser and then to google (for example). It also states to check the settings for the firewall or proxy to allow Iceweasel permissions and enable it. The problem is that I do not know where to look to change these settings, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the way that Knopixx names things. I am familiar with Windows XP nomenclature but not with Linux nomenclature.

    1. Where do I change the proxy (firewall) settings? In the router? Within the program?

    2. I have ran the wlcardconfig at the command level, but no success! Although, the card works.

    Please, help me with step-by-step instructions.

    Thanks, guys

    Joey.-

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    so many wifi questions
    you'd think you'd get the idea it don't work too easily

    can someone local to me buy me a router and card so i can figure this out for everybody ?
    6 types of card even

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    marlheet:

    Thanks for at least looking and taking your time to answer. You know, I think that the problem lies in Knoppix V5.01 and its code. I do not think that, people like me, will easily resolve this problem. As you mentioned, it appears that about 95% of the people are having this problem. You would think that Knopper would be working on this issue or anyone, for that matter, who helped to develop this great program.

    There are a lot of people who are truly interested in this version as an alternate OS; however, the lack of a forthcoming solution from Knopper on this problem completely confounds me! This is a major shortfall that frustrates all of us to the edge of saying: "The hell with this program!!", and throwing the CD in the trash. I have contemplated this myself... .

    If the people at Knopper are asking for donations from potential users, they will never get anything from anyone as long as this major problem exists. **A happy user will donate generously for a solid, good, working program**.

    Marhleet, if you have a contact point at Knopper, please forward this reply to them. As you can see, my sentiments are well reflected by the number of posts on this forum regarding this issue. I am new to this forum and I do not have any contact points.

    They also need to work on the printer recognition issue - such as me and my Lexmark E232 problem. If they need a copy of my "install disk" on this, I will mail a copy of it to anywhere at my expense. The list of recognized printers reflects old hardware that most of us do not keep forever - we are always upgrading to new equipment as cost factors go down. They need to publish new equipment drivers with the program.

    Realistically speaking, marhleet, you will never get anything from anyone for free for you to try to solve this problem whether your intentions are noble or not. Maybe you know someone in Sidney that you could borrow hardware from. These items are not inexpensive anywhere in the world... .

    I love to hear your take on this... .

    Joey6.-

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    I went to a wifi card supplier web page
    and found a wifi card
    and it supports the usual windows stuff

    no linux mention

    if each card needs vendor code drivers for windows, how does anyone think that some catch-all will work magically in linux ?

    I can't get 3 different USB interfaces to auto-work that all work in windows

    methinks sometimes people like to expect too much

    me, I have no problem actually buying the stuff just to do the exercise for myself and to help
    I'm not poor, and i like to help.
    but i think it would only show that it ain't gonna happen

    the pci card vendors will have to get linux drivers for their cards for this too work

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Marhleet:

    I figured it out!! I will be posting this today. Quite lengthy... but you will find it interesting. You do not have to go out and buy any cards. However, if the card was specifically designed for Windows, it will not work in any Linux-based program. I was able to get both my Netgear cards recognized! I installed Linspire 5.01 in an old computer that I had (like I told you before) and I got everything to work - including my Lexmark Laser Printer. I will do another write up on this today, as well. I will post both write ups as separate Topics. Let me know what you think, OK??

    Joey.-

Similar Threads

  1. can not connect to the internet
    By greg m in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
  2. Can't connect to the internet..
    By jacksonon in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
  4. Cant connect to the internet
    By simplyskate in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
  5. help! can't connect to internet
    By THiM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit USB Flash Drive picture

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit USB Flash Drive

$24.99