Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Configuring Video for Toshiba Portege 7010CT

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Metro NYC
    Posts
    1

    Configuring Video for Toshiba Portege 7010CT

    I have a Toshiba Portege 7010CT whose native LCD goes up to 800x600x24 but can go to 1024x768x?? on an external monitor. Its video chipset is NeoMagic.

    After installing a KNOPPX-based distribution (namely BitDefender Live!) on a docking station I only get 640x480 resolution and worse, pixel stuttering is active. The result's very ugly. The 800x600 resolution's apparently not offered, and that gives me the impression BitDefender (and likely KNOPPIX) didn't exactly recognize my video card.

    I'd like to resolve the problem by adding boot/kernel parameters, but I've tried screen=800x600 depth=24 and fb800x600 I've aso tried to change xmodule to fbdev and vesa but X didn't even start.

    I also discovered the /etc/X11/xorg.conf but I'm very light with regards to modifying the file accordingly. I would actually much much much rather add boot/kernel parameters in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file because I can use these settings and parameters when I boot up live distributions like SLAX (Slackware) and BitDefender Live! (KNOPPIX).

    I'd still be grateful for reading thoughts on modifying xorg.conf

    I'm really hoping for a set of boot/kernel parameters that would work with live distributions.

    What else I can tweak?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1
    An answer copied from another forum. I tried : it works...

    ---------
    There seems to be some problem with the with the HSync and VSync ranges not being set correctly. As far as I understand, they are irrellevent on LCD monitors with most video chipsets as they are auto detected, but aparently this one needs the information.

    Anyway, I don't know much about the root of this problem as I haven't invistigated further, but here what I did to get it working:

    open a terminal and run:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Here is how I answered all the questions:

    Attempt to autodetect video hardware?
    No

    Select the desired X server driver.
    neomagic

    Enter an identifier for your video card.
    Just leave it as is

    Please enter the video card's bus identifier.
    PCI:0:4:0

    Enter the amount of memory (in kB) to be used by your video card.
    Leave blank

    Use kernel framebuffer device interface?
    No

    Autodetect keyboard layout?
    No

    Please select your keyboard layout.
    Just leave it as is

    Please select the XKB rule set to use.
    Just leave it as is

    Please select your keyboard model.
    Just leave it as is

    Please select your keyboard variant.
    Just leave it as is

    Please select your keyboard options.
    Just leave it as is

    Emulate 3 button mouse?
    Yes

    Enable scroll events from mouse wheel?
    Yes

    Select the X.Org server modules that should be loaded by default.
    Just leave it as is

    Write default Files section to configuration file?
    Yes

    Write default DRI section to configuration file?
    Yes

    Attempt monitor autodetection?
    No

    Enter an identifier for your monitor.
    Just leave it as is

    Select the video modes you would like the X server to use.
    1024x768

    Please choose a method for selecting your monitor characteristics.
    Medium

    Please select your monitor's best video mode.
    1024x768 @ 60Hz

    Write monitor sync ranges to configuration file?
    Yes

    Please select your desired default color depth in bits.
    16

Similar Threads

  1. toshiba portege 3110ct reformatting?
    By tommy-d in forum Laptops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 09:57 PM
  2. Toshiba portege 7020ct grafikproblem
    By zoe1981 in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 02:24 PM
  3. Wont boot on Toshiba Portege 3480ct
    By red2scorer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 04:03 AM
  4. Can't use Knoppix 3.2 on Toshiba Portege 4010
    By hannskis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 07:46 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$169.99



(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100% picture

(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%

$1299.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 - CMW16GX4M2Z3600C14 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 - CMW16GX4M2Z3600C14

$180.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98