My laptop crashed at the same time my cd drive appears to have gone bad. Is there a stripped down version of Knoppix that I could put on a 512 meg USB to boot my laptop again. Knoppix works great on it.
Mike
My laptop crashed at the same time my cd drive appears to have gone bad. Is there a stripped down version of Knoppix that I could put on a 512 meg USB to boot my laptop again. Knoppix works great on it.
Mike
In spite of "boot from USB" options in the BIOS, many computers don't really boot properly from a USB flash device. But if you feel lucky and want to try it, DSL (Damn Small Linux) has an option to build a bootable USB device that will fit fine on that device with the extra space available as user storage. DSL is Knoppix derived.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I put Knoppix 5.1.1 on a 4 Gb flash drive using the tutorial found at www.pendrivelinux.com (choose the Knoppix USB tutorial) It took me about an hour, 45 minutes of that was downloading the zip file you have to extract the the USB drive. You only need a 1 GB flash drive according to the site. It's very nice I'm using it on a Dell Lattitude D410 with the centrino chipset. I like it much better than XP.

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99
Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00
Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included
$299.99