Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to recover the .iso file from a CD ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9

    How to recover the .iso file from a CD ?

    I am sorry for this stupid question. I have tried Google for an hour, but lack of keywords failed to bring up any reasonable hint.

    What I have done, is downloading KNOPPIX 5.1.1 and burnt it. It boots; everything okay. Now I need the .iso file back in order to share it. I think I read this before, but have a blackout. Of course, I could go through the whole process of remastering, but that's not what I want. Just insert the CD and extract bit by bit.
    I have already tried on the level of bits and Bytes:
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=KNOPPIX.iso
    cat /dev/scd0 > KNOPPIX.iso
    730083328, 730148864 are the file sizes and none has the correct MD5-sum.

    Thanks for any suggestion,

    Uwe

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    you burnt the iso to a cd disk
    you don't throw it away
    you still have it
    burn it again

    or

    take your working disk and make a copy of it
    change the destination from your cd write to the file writing device (Nero)

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Or, if you want someone else to be able to get it by a fie transfer, it's already being shared by hundreds by BitTorrent, have the person who wants a copy use that. While there is a way to make an iso from a CD, I'm certainly not going to encourage ayone to do that when the iso is otherwise available; there is too much chance that corruption could sneak in that way.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, I was sure I had read somewhere how to retrieve the ISO from that CD.

    In any case, marhleet, I don't have it anymore, no. And not everywhere in the world is downloading so fast; on our campus no torrent is available.
    Would have been good to have a simple and rather safe method.

    Uwe

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    ok ...
    you got the iso from somewhere fast
    and burnt it
    and now you aren't there

    well, that's some more information

    Nero burnt the iso to a cd
    Nero can burn the cd to an iso
    and you can MD5 check the iso file after
    and you know where the md5 numbers are for where you got the iso originally
    so burn away and check
    and all should be happy happy

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9
    Nero can burn the cd to an iso
    Fine, then. I didn't know Nero can do that.
    Yahoo !!

    I don't have any Nero. I did something like
    cdrecord dev=1,1,0 KNOPPIX.iso
    No chance then, I guess.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Have you tried

    sudo dd if=/dev/hdc of=/mnt/hda1/knoppix.iso bs=2048

    where /dev/hdc is your CDROM drive and /mnt/hda1 is the place where you wish to store the ISO file?

Similar Threads

  1. Help me recover files
    By Plala in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
  2. How to Recover Data?
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
  3. recover deleted knoppix image file
    By lalahunt1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:58 AM
  4. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
  5. how can i recover data??
    By dreday202 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00