Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Windows "Stand By" problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Windows "Stand By" problem

    I ran Knoppix 3.8 on my computer, and it worked fine. When I went back to Windows, I could not put my computer into stand by and it seemed to be significantly slower starting up and shutting down (without Knoppix). I restarted it. I looked in help. I have looked in my computer's BIOS. I have tried everything and running Knoppix was the only real thing that I did on my computer that day, so I'm pretty sure that the problem was caused by Knoppix. Please help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    there should be no problem caused by Knoppix.
    only things i can thnk of is that you hae done soething yourself.
    what I am talking about is the fact that knoppix access harddrives read-only, so unless you have done something active, like created a swapfile or persistent home (these require you to take active steps) and given the wrong partition, or actively changed a partition/disk to read/write knoppix is likely not to blame.

    any other symptoms?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    When my computer starts up, after Windows boots, the screen flashes gray to black aproximately six times.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    t seems to be slower because you went back to WInblowz from a good OS LOL

    But seriously... KNOPPIX could not/would not change your installed OS without the help of your fingertips.

    "..... I could not put my computer into stand by ....."

    What happened when you tried? Blue screen? Error mesages (if so which one)? What version of WIndows and Knoppix? Hardware? (specifically in this case Mainboard, RAM, CPU) .. Have you checked your Hard Disk(s) for errors..including a "Through" or Surface scan)..

    Also you may try booting from the Knoppix CD again and choosing Memtest. This will run a series of tests on the RAM installed in your system... let it run for atleast a good number of passed (or overnight is better)

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    when I went to power options the standby option was greyed out. I could not click it, even after adjusting various power options.
    I have Windows XP Media center 2005 and Knoppix 3.8.
    My computer has a gig of RAM an AMD Athlon X2 processor. I'm not quite sure about my mainboard, though.
    I scanned it completely with Norton Internet Security 2007, Webroot Spysweeper and the basic performance tools that come with Windows.
    I tried other sites for people who had my problem and found one that said an NVIDIA driver was causing it. I unistalled the driver, and then my computer wouldn't boot at all! The screen would just flash gray and black like I said before. When I tried safe mode, I would get as far as the welcome screen but mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. I tried the most basic ball mouse and standard keyboard that I could find, but neither worked. Then I decided that it wasn't worth fixing and even if i fixed it, it may have still had major software problems. So in the end, I re-installed Windows lol
    Thank you for all of your help though. I may try a newer version of Knoppix on another computer. It was a great OS while I used it!

Similar Threads

  1. Fix for WINE "Warning:...L"c:\\windows" is no
    By rharazin in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
  2. "Windows did not shut down properly" - can't mount
    By soldstatic in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
  3. How can I get in "Stand by Mode" in linux?
    By OP4Latino in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 03:32 AM
  4. spreading Knoppix due to MS Windows "issues"
    By locutus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:38 AM
  5. "Clean" Knoppix Boot on a preinstalled Windows XP
    By ruymbeke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB,  (4) HDD,  EXCELLENT COND. picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8, 4.5TB, (4) HDD, EXCELLENT COND.

$625.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50