Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: unable to connect to internet- network driver problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    unable to connect to internet- network driver problem

    Hi all,

    I am new in linux. few weeks ago I have just installed knoppix 4.0.1. everything is fine, the only problem is that i couldnt access the internet. I have search through many forums and try out the solution, but still it doesnt work. I can use Internet when in windows (dual booting), and this make me sure that I am using the correct IP address, I am using static Ip address, not DHCP)..


    During the installation using the live cd, there is warning about the network card is not detected. Therefore, I have tried to download the appropriate network driver for my network card . I am using Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (I have checked in windows). So am I right that I have to download driver for that network card but for linux. I couldn't find the driver for that version, instead I only can find for 'linux-8169(221)'..Is it compatible??. so I have downloded the file, and use unzip command to unzip it (since it is in the .zip)..below is my command used and the result obtained:

    su
    unzip linux-8169(221).zip
    cd src # since there is no linux-8169(221) after unzip
    make clean modules

    here are what I get:

    Makefile:28:/home/myname/Desktop/src/src/makefile-linux26x: No such file or directory
    Make: *** No rule to make target '/home/myname/Desktop/src/src/Makefile-linux26x'. Stop.

    For your information, the src folder contains those files:
    Makefile, Makefile-linux24x, Makefile-linux26x, README, /modules, r8169_n.c, /src

    and inside the modules and src folder there is nothing except ., .., and .tmp_versions


    I have also try out this:

    'pump -i eth0' which i got "Operation failed".. then i tried to 'modprobe 8168 (and also 8169)' and it returned "FATAL: module 8168(or 8169) not found"


    when I tried to do 'ifconfig -a', I got the following message:

    eth0 link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-E0-18-00-03-EE-EC-b9-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    Broadcast MULTICAST MTU:1500 metric:1
    AX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:12 errors:4 dropped:4 overruns:0 carrier:0 collision:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0.b) TX bytes:432 (432.0 b)

    lo Link encap: Local lookback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
    up LOOKBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 metric:1
    RX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6105 (5.9 KiB) Tx bytes:6105 (5.9 KiB)

    then I did 'netcardconfig', and here is the output:

    xlib: connection to ':0.0" refused by server
    xlib: No protocol specified

    I have read through one forum, that suggest to edit the /etc/modules-2.6.12. I have added 8168100 and 8169100, save and restart my laptop (ASUS A8F),..Before that i configured my IP address. so when I login back after rebooting my laptop, I tried to once again make 'ifconfig -a'..and this time it can recognize the ip address, broadcast and mask, which is better

    I have also try the 'route -n' command in which i get kernel IP routing table. In the table, it state that the interface is eth0, which means it can detect the 'eth0', other columns only state the ip address, gateway, mask, flag, metrics, ref, and use..

    Can anybody help me?..i am really (really) stuck in this..I really need to figure out this and solve the problem, since it is quite tedious and tiring for me to switch between linux and windows each time i want to get connected to the internet..

    Or anybody knows where can i find the correct driver for my network card? I have search through almost related website and couldnt find any.

    thanks in advance for your help..!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    You need to install the kenel sources when creating modules for your kernel version. You also need to be in /usr/src/linux when
    issuing the make clean modules command.

    However you are using an older version of Knoppix and if you download Knoppix 5.1.1 it will have kernel 2.6.19
    You may find that the modules are updated and your card will work. If you have broadband why not download knoppix and see if the card is detected from the live cd?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM
  2. Unable to connect to the internet
    By raven in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 01:00 PM
  3. Unable to connect to the Internet ADSL-nic
    By ePro in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
  4. cannot connect to network and internet
    By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
  5. Unable to connect to internet before and after hdinstall
    By cycopy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99