Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sharing between winXP and knoppix

  1. #1

    Sharing between winXP and knoppix

    I'm going to install Knoppix on my computer this weekend, set up all the partitions and what not. I have a Lexmark printer, which really sucks, so I have to keep XP on my computer I need info about file sharing between the 2 systems: I've read about creating a drive for Linux, drive for WinXP, swap drive, boot drive, and another one in Fat32 that both XP and Linux can read. It wasn't spacific to Knoppix and I can't remember where I got the instructions on how to configure the files so that Knoppix and WinXP will read and write to the Fat32 partition. Can someone please tell me how to configure things?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Delft-The netherlands
    Posts
    33

    This should be it:

    This should be it for a firs time linux user :
    1.Open a shell and type: sudo knoppix-installer, This will ask you to create a partition for linux with qtparted, create the linux partition with filesystem ext3 after the win XP partition, this is important if you want that knoppix to boot, if you have 1 gig ram or more i recommend to not create swap, and at last our Fat 32 partition, after dong this go to the files menu of qtparted and click on commit.

    2.Once created the partitons configure the install, Install the Boot loader to the MBR (master boot record), and just wait until it finishes installing it , now restart your pc it should be a menu with Linux and Windows check that windows boots, if it does were almost finished

    3. for mounting the Fat 32 open a shell and type:
    fdisk -l (this will give you infoabout the partitons on your HD)
    If that shows your fat32 partition, then you can do, as root:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hdxy /dir/subdir/YourMountPoint
    /dev/hdxy is the partition you want to mount, something like /dev/hdb4, from the report from fdisk.
    Once mounted, you should be able to access the files and directories. You may wish to make the mounting occurr automatically at boot time, by adding an entry to /etc/fstab which is similar to this:
    /dev/hdxy /dir/subdir/YourMountPoint vfat rw 0 0

  3. #3
    I tried installing it over the weekend and ran into a few problems so I uninstalled and what not because I needed my computer for school Monday... but here's the problems:

    1) It was reading the fat32 partition, but not writing to it
    2) I couldn't change the grub... or anything else in the root directory, and it told me I wasn't allowed to log on as root.

    I haven't tried your instructions yet, but if I do, will I have to edit root files? If so, I need to know how to make them writable.

    *EDIT* One last thing I forgot to mention that might be important, I installed it in the Beginner Mode... not sure whether that's important, but I thought I'd include it

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    I tried installing it over the weekend and ran into a few problems so I uninstalled and what not because I needed my computer for school Monday... but here's the problems:

    1) It was reading the fat32 partition, but not writing to it
    2) I couldn't change the grub... or anything else in the root directory, and it told me I wasn't allowed to log on as root.

    I haven't tried your instructions yet, but if I do, will I have to edit root files? If so, I need to know how to make them writable.

    *EDIT* One last thing I forgot to mention that might be important, I installed it in the Beginner Mode... not sure whether that's important, but I thought I'd include it
    These sound like misconceptions.....not problems

    1. Linux mounts everything READONLY by default... this is a saftey measure and is completely normal. Right clicking on the Drive icon on the KDE desktop and choosing "Change Read/Write Mode" will allow you to write to a drive.

    2. Sounds like you may have been trying to logon to KDE as root... which is not allowed (and unsafe) .... use the ' su ' command from a terminal window to become root.

    Linux can seem overwhelming at first because of all the MS products that we've been stuck infront of for years.....but stick with it.... you wont be sorry

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    Thanks man, I will try that when I get the time... so dependant on my computer for school if I can't get it right I have to be able to get it back to normal so I can do stuff, which is a real pain because I can't fool around with stuff...

    And yes, MS has been pissing me off... just from the LiveDVD I can tell the Knoppix is way better

  6. #6
    "2. Sounds like you may have been trying to logon to KDE as root... which is not allowed (and unsafe) .... use the ' su ' command from a terminal window to become root."
    -I tried this to edit the grub file so I have a longer default time, no such luck

    And I have yet to try right-clicking the drive to get it to read-write... must be be working as root in order to do this?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    No... not root needed to make a drive Read-Write from the Drive icon...

    But your root device should be readwrite.... or your wouldnt be able to store ..well.. anything and you grub files are installed on the root device at /boot/grub/


    Try this:

    Open Konsole and try this: su
    Should look something like this:
    Code:
    onemyndseye@exodus:~$ su
    Password:
    root@exodus:/home/onemyndseye#
    You will be asked for the root password. Once you enter it your prompt will change denoting your root privledges. (notice the $ and the #) You are now root and can modify ANYTHING in the system as you see fit.

    Now this:
    Code:
    pico  /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Edit until you are satisfied...save and exit. Then issue the ` exit ` command to return to your normal user: (full output from instruction shown below)
    Code:
    onemyndseye@exodus:~$ su
    Password:
    root@exodus:/home/onemyndseye# pico /boot/grub/menu.lst
    root@exodus:/home/onemyndseye# exit
    exit
    onemyndseye@exodus:~$
    All done .. Linux isnt really difficult, its just a much different way of thinking than most people are used to

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  8. #8
    Was not able to make the fat32 drive read/write from the right click, I can't save anything to it... I try to save stuff to it using KWrite as a test and I keep getting the error message "/media/hda4/filename.odt doesn't exist' (or something close to that).

    How do you save an exit the file?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 03:28 AM
  2. Sharing a Printer on pure knoppix from CD
    By wolfgang-s in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 01:02 AM
  3. Sharing 56 internet connexion by a WINXP PC.
    By tomtool in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
  4. Sharing Internet Connection with Knoppix
    By iisatrini in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99