-
Senior Member
registered user
I tried installing it over the weekend and ran into a few problems so I uninstalled and what not because I needed my computer for school Monday... but here's the problems:
1) It was reading the fat32 partition, but not writing to it
2) I couldn't change the grub... or anything else in the root directory, and it told me I wasn't allowed to log on as root.
I haven't tried your instructions yet, but if I do, will I have to edit root files? If so, I need to know how to make them writable.
*EDIT* One last thing I forgot to mention that might be important, I installed it in the Beginner Mode... not sure whether that's important, but I thought I'd include it
These sound like misconceptions.....not problems 
1. Linux mounts everything READONLY by default... this is a saftey measure and is completely normal. Right clicking on the Drive icon on the KDE desktop and choosing "Change Read/Write Mode" will allow you to write to a drive.
2. Sounds like you may have been trying to logon to KDE as root... which is not allowed (and unsafe) .... use the ' su ' command from a terminal window to become root.
Linux can seem overwhelming at first because of all the MS products that we've been stuck infront of for years.....but stick with it.... you wont be sorry
Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
Similar Threads
-
By cishpix in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-11-2006, 03:28 AM
-
By wolfgang-s in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 01:02 AM
-
By tomtool in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
-
By iisatrini in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
-
By pfb in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99