Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remote logon to Terminal Server using old PC's.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Remote logon to Terminal Server using old PC's.

    I want to log on to a Windows Server 2003 running Terminal services with old PC's.
    The idea is to utilise old PC's that are not capable of running XP etc. Some of these PC's cannot run KDE as there is not enough memory.

    It must also be foolproof because the dumb terminals will be used at a school. IE only the login screen shows. they will not use any of the Applications on the CD. The old PC's will only have a CD rom and maybe a stiffy. All these PC's are currently running MS Win 98/95.

    How can I create a startup disk that will logon remotely without starting the GUI?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    PXE Boot

    My school does just that... on OLD IBM 340s! It has been some time since I have thought about this so I can only give you some direction. Start with www.lstp.org. I think what my school uses are NIC carts installed on the 340s with a PXE bootrom included on it. This basically scans the network for a running terminal server... and just works (as long as the terminal server is properly set up (which is very easy in Knoppix). The other option is to load a bootrom on a floppy and boot the terminals with the floppy in the drive. I think there is a way to install the bootrom on the hd, but I'm not sure. LTSP should have many answers for you. Also check out http://www.etherboot.org/db/, http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ . Hope this helped.[/url]

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Remote logon to Terminal Server using old PC's.

    Thank you so far.
    I have downloaded the DSL iso and made a bootdisk, it starts the old PC. Remember I am only starting to work with Linux now.
    How can I edit DSL so that it only bootup and give me the remote logon? Do i have to install it on my Windows PC (thats what I use daily) ? If, yes. How? We do not need any of the Linux other apps. or GUI's to run.
    Also, the old PC's do not have bootroms. Maybe starting only from CD is the answer, because they all have CD's.
    We must also think about printing on eiter the MS Server 2003 box or form some of the dumbterminals.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    apart from all the

    you will need a desktop to run from

    guff, the advanced server - terminal services
    client is doable as a download to install into a windows machine

    I used to use it before i got onto VNC which works just fine
    is available for windows and linux
    and is mostly figurable (darned config) for even knoppix to do
    one of the things i haven't yet done, must get some more time
    I have seen it do it! it will do it.

    for library clients, the whole security lock down of desktop and tweaking registry, i've not done.
    it is doable
    you can have a start button with nothing on it but the one item
    which is already on the desktop anyway
    I've never looked at it
    i have seen it at the local lib, and am jealous

Similar Threads

  1. Remote logon to Terminal Server using old PC's.
    By pieterkahts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 08:42 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  3. Sharing Local Printers to Remote PC's
    By jrsath0me in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 08:24 PM
  4. Remote Terminal Issues
    By Big Calhoun in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 01:44 AM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08