Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: network doesn't start automatically??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4

    network doesn't start automatically??

    For some reason ever since I've installed Knoppix to my harddrive it doesn't start my network via Ethernet automatically I have to login to root and: pump -i eth0
    Is there a way to get Knoppix to do this command every time I boot up (and also run other commands)??

    Richard S.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: network doesn't start automatically??

    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk
    For some reason ever since I've installed Knoppix to my harddrive .......
    Many things break after Knoppix is "installed". The oldest problem posted in our Hard Disk Install forum is a"network not working after install", and it has continued to this day. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that many of us advise not to install Knoppix, but rather to install something actually intended to be installed, like Debian.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21
    I had the same problem after I did the HD install with version 5.

    My fis was to modify /etc/init.d/networking. At the end of the script add the pump command. I did not need any arguments for pump.

    Code:
            
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop|restart|force-reload}"
            exit 1
            ;;
    esac
    pump
    exit 0
    Hope this works for you...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    It didn't work for me.. on an ASUS A3HF laptop w/5.1.1. From CD, network works perfectly.

    I think I can understand the advice about HD install. In my case, neither lspci -v or lsmod listings give any clue. lspci -v listings are identical from CD and HD, and lsmod diffs seem not to relate to network. I tried the HD install because I can not get Mandriva 2007 to work predictably well on this machine, while a remastered 5.0.1 Knoppix runs smoothly from a USB pendrive. So maybe I should look at std Debian... but as I'm not sure to avoid problems that way, I may well choose stick with Mandriva..

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Just a short update: I plugged in an old Billionton PCMCIA card, ran "ifup eth1" and it worked immediately. But what to do with the built-in Realtek 8139 based interface, I still don't know...

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Just a short update: I plugged in an old Billionton PCMCIA card, ran "ifup eth1" and it worked immediately. But what to do with the built-in Realtek 8139 based interface, I still don't know...
    I only have one interface in all of my PC's...
    I had to add the above pump command to both PC's after a HD install.

    After booting with the PCMCIA card not installed, do you get an error in the dmesg report. Also, do an lsmod with a HD boot and with a CD boot. Look and see if the drivers for you onboard LAN were loaded on the CD boot and not the HD boot.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Philly, USA
    Posts
    3

    Networking Utility

    Hello,

    I used the networking utility to set a static IP address for my eth1 interface. The ifconfig -add command did not seem to work due to permissions errors, so I tried the GUI.

    It works great!

Similar Threads

  1. Crontab won't start automatically in the startup
    By ghetto_blaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:09 AM
  2. x-server does not start automatically
    By Mr.45er in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 01:21 AM
  3. How to make apache 1.3 automatically start at boot?
    By Zero_1984 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:57 AM
  4. start sshd automatically
    By paradox87 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
  5. start scripts automatically
    By hokiegal99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98