Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Accessing files in HOME directory?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    13

    Accessing files in HOME directory?

    Following a logout and shutdown (day before last), I booted into Knoppix today and discovered that I could no longer access certain directories and files in my home directory. What happened between then and now? More importantly, how do I fix it?

    Your help is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well you can easily change file permissions with chmod but...perhaps you could be a bit more specific? You can access some but not all of the files and directories in /home? You can find the permissions of files and directories like so:

    ls -al /home/username

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    13
    That's right. I can only access some files and directories in /ramdisk/home/knoppix, but I can't imagine what changed from the day before and now. Previously, I could access those directories and files without restriction. After all, I created those directories and files myself.

    By changing the file permissions, will this give me access to those directories and files as user knoppix? Currently, I can only see them from the root console screen.

    What is the syntax for chmod? I haven't used it.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34
    man chmod

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by RE Dude
    That's right. I can only access some files and directories in /ramdisk/home/knoppix, but I can't imagine what changed from the day before and now. Previously, I could access those directories and files without restriction. After all, I created those directories and files myself.

    By changing the file permissions, will this give me access to those directories and files as user knoppix? Currently, I can only see them from the root console screen.

    What is the syntax for chmod? I haven't used it.
    Are you saying that your home directory was on ramdisk? that isnt a permanent directory. You need to create a home directory on hard disk or floppy...On the 'K' menu choose Knoppix...configure...Create a persistant home directory...DO NOT CHOOSE TO USE WHOLE DISK unless you want to wipe windows <washes mouth out> partition.
    See the DOCS for further info... Also after creating it you will need to use the cheat code 'home=/mnt/hda1' or whatever.
    You can use Konqueror right click...properties menu to change permissions if you arent familiar with chmod.

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing home PC from work?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
  2. Help with files that aren't in the home directory using...
    By WastedFX in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Accessing my home dirctory on / partition
    By mr_dellarenta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
  5. Accessing Windows Files
    By standmatt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC picture

Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC

$550.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99