Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: USB flash drive disappears

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5

    USB flash drive disappears

    I have Knoppix5.0 installed to a HD. I am using a LinkSys usb hub and plugged into that I have a PNY 1GB Flash drive. Everthing is fine after I boot up, I can read and write to it, got a desktop icon, and it is /dev/sda1. After some period of time, say two hours, I notice the flash drive has disappeared. I try to mount it, but it no longer exists. The only way I cna get it back is to reboot. Anybody got any ideas?? I even looked in the BIOS for any power mangement issues. It just goes away.

    Tim
    PS I am only running with 256MB ram. Could that be the issue?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5
    Just a quick update. I unplugged the hub, plugged the usb flash drive directly into the usb port on the PC. Rebooted and after 9 hours it's still there. I wonder...................

    Tim

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5
    38 views and not a single suggestion or anybody else with the same problem???
    After putzing back and forth, I have discovered if I leave the external usb hub out and plug my usb flashdrive directly into the PC it will always be there. If I use an external usb anything connected to it dissapears within two hours.
    I sure would like to solve this problem. I will try other usb hubs, I assume somebody would have seen this already.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5
    Using Knoppix5.0

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. using a PDA as a usb flash drive
    By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
  3. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  4. usb flash drive
    By mmaarrcc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  5. Using a USB flash drive as RAM.....
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 05:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99