-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix 5.1.1 and Initng
Has anyone got Initng working with knoppix 5.1?
Just ran
apt-get update
apt-get install initng
apt-get install bootchart
I have included a new stanza in grub for initng as below:
title knoppix 5.11
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
title knoppix Initng
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791 init=/sbin/initng
initrd /initrd
The initng starts to load but then I get a message error at line 22. At this early stage nothing is wrote to dmesg so I cant debug this.
Initng looks very promising, but so far I have failed to get it working on 5 different linux systems, Im just not clever enough to work out
the init scripts and booting process required by each distribution.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well.... yes and no
Part of your prblem is in your menu.lst:
title knoppix Initng
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 rw nofstab nohwsetup nodhcp lang=uk apm=power-off nomce vga=791 init=/sbin/initng
initrd /initrd
should be: initrd /boot/initrd.img
NOT: initrd /initng
The " init=/sbin/initng " is all you need to enable booting with initng
I installed it and got it to sort-of boot. The problem is that initng uses a different scripting language for its Inits and this is a big problem for knoppix since Its init scripts do ALOT.
Bash init scripts can be used with Initng but I do not remmber the exact method although it basicaly just involves making a initng script to run your bash based script for you...
I scraped the idea for using it because the idea behing initng is that it can INIT several parts of the system at once.... and since so much is done in the knoppix init's I figured this was asking for trouble since in theory some things could happen out of sequence.... for instance... What would happen if hwsetup started before udev.... etc etc
It does make for a really nice looking and quick boot process 
Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
Similar Threads
-
By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95