I know this was discussed several times without a solution, as Klaus refuses a kernel-patch.

But alas it is not neccessary for knoppix as knoppix-autoconfig is a user-space script WITH the ability to send processes to background.

So it is possible to show some splash-screen with:

# lets start the user-fb (5 minutes)
ppmtofb -w 300 /knoppix.ppm &

And at the end jsut do a:

killall ppmtofb

This can also be exited, by chainging to some console or q. So pressing Alt+Fx or Alt+Left|Right|... works for quitting, but as source is available one could change this also.

Of couse showing the knoppix picutre is not very interested, but with the utitilites from bootsplash.org (the progress-prog for example) it would be possible to do interesting things..

Or just use the Redmond-Theme from bootsplash with the nice animation ?

I think if someone did an really nice graphical boot that just depends on user-space-tools, Klaus would not object. (Of course someone has to guarantee that this is only used, if a fb is really present, but I think that is fairly easy to detect. )

So, if one really want this. That is the way to go.

If one has stuff, post it here and if its also good I'll do if wished the negotations with Klaus to get it into the official version...

cu

Fabian