-
Senior Member
registered user
Setting up file servers (5.0.1) - /usr/bin/X11/xauth error?
Hi All,
I just got 2 new fast servers to replace some old slow ones. I use these servers for my students to login each day so they can edit and compile *.java files for my AP Computer Science classes. My students use ssh and fish:// to access all their work remotely on campus and from home.
I set both these servers up the exact same way and the server hardware is identical (Pentium IV, 40GB hdd, etc) except one has 1GB and the other has 2GB of RAM. I used the KNOPPIX 5.0.1 CD to install as Debian on the hdd.
I setup
netcardconfig to initailize the ip address on eth0 by DHCP and
update-rc.d ssh default
for a ssh server (sshd) and I added all my users with adduser.
Now, on the 1GB server, the first time a new user logs in, Xauthority is called and all is well. However, the first time a user logs into the 2GB server, an error comes up like
Could not chdir to home directory /home/userid: Permission denied
/usr/bin/X11/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/userid/.Xauthority
instead of Xauthority running. The user then gets dumped outside of the /home dir and cannot cd into it or into /home/userid!
Have any of you stalwart linux gurus dealt with anything like this before? If so, please let me know what your solution was! I've never had a problem like this before and I've been setting up servers like this using KNOPPIX for years....
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By WallyWallWhackr in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
-
By pstone in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
-
By Matabus in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-04-2005, 12:08 AM
-
By gopikrish in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 05:36 AM
-
By 3133 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)
$150.00