Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: VMWARE PLAYER INSTALL

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    VMWARE PLAYER INSTALL

    I'm trying to install VMware-player-1.0.3-34682 and everything installs perfectly until it asks for the location of the directory of the C header files that match my running kernel. Here is what I get.

    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

    The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

    I heard that I have to point it to /lib/modules/2.6.19/build but I do not have a build folder. Instead build is a file and when I click on it I get the error"File:////lib/modules/2.6.19/build Does not seem to exist anymore". Someone please help me out here. I have tried almost everything I can think of but then again I am new to Linux. I was also told I should try to do a apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.19 but when I do that I get this

    root@box:/home/birdsixone# apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.19
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Package linux-headers-2.6.19 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package linux-headers-2.6.19 has no installation candidate
    root@box:/home/birdsixone#

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    the 2.6.19 headers are installed on the system at: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19

    hope this helps
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    I tried to go to that but their is no such directory on my computer. Is their some way I can search for them or do I have to download them?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    birdsixone : Exactly which version of KNOPPIX are you using ? The recent ones in which I have installed VMware-player-1.0.3-34682 are :-

    5.0.1 CD :does not have the files; I had to copy over the files from 5.0.1 DVD (see below)

    5.0.1 DVD : has the files in :-
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17scripts
    For my own convenience I tarballed these to .tar.gz & then alien-ed to .deb package.



    5.1.1 CD :does not have the files; you can copy over the files from 5.1.1 DVD (but see below)

    5.1.1 DVD : The files are in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19 - as in preceding posting by onemyndseye.
    With this there is a bonus; Knoppix have at last included a .deb package
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    This contains the sub-set of necessary files that are in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19 and makes for a much more convenient & compact installation.

    I suspect (but NB don't know for certain) that 5.1.0 may be similar to 5.1.1 in this respect.
    Addendum: Looks like it - I've found it mentioned in this wiki http://buxus.s31.xrea.com/pukiwiki/p....php?usr%2Fsrc

    (NB if you try to get the 'vanilla' sources from kernel.org they do not contain the necessary custom knoppix version data.)

    So unless/until Knoppix post headers separately in the mirrors, you have to get the DVD to work with the CD.

    If you want to send me your e-mail (click on my name link & send a Private Message) I could send you .deb packages for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1

    Good luck

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    VMWARE PLAYER INSTALL

    Hi JohnnyH,

    I have the same problems during the installation of vmplayer in my Knoppix-DVD 5.1 -system like "birdsixone" published a month ago.

    I followed your advices and installed the linux-headers-2.6.19, but anyway - this prompt of the vmplayer installation occurs:

    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

    Which path is now necessary?

    Pressing just "ENTER" - the same message occurs.

    Can you give me any hind.

    Thanks,
    Christoph

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

    Which path is now necessary?
    (You have to reply with the actual path used by your distro - VM set-up does not necessarily know this as many distros are different )
    From memory, for this Knoppix 5.1(.1) it is:

    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19/include

    (To be sure, open KPackage, find package linux-headers-2.6.19 and look at the File List tab )

    Good luck

Similar Threads

  1. Installing VMWare Player on Knoppix?
    By piuskid in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
  2. VMware player inside Knoppix
    By Akegata in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
  3. Problem for install knoppix with VMWare Player
    By HelloEveryBody in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
  4. VMWare player in Knoppix
    By nnigam in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
  5. Using VMWare Player to run different OS'es including ISO of
    By patelbhavesh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99