Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: LOCALE cannot be changed in Knoppix 5.1.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro Brazil
    Posts
    9

    LOCALE cannot be changed in Knoppix 5.1.1

    Good morning to you all. I have installed Knoppix 5.1.1 . It is wonderful except for the fact that I live in Brazil and I use the language pt_BR with a lot of accents. Everything is perfect if I do not use Openoffice. I can use the accents (with the ABNT2 keyboard) wherever I want but not in Openoffice. I have installed the #apt-get install kde-i18n-ptbr and my KDE is now in Portuguese (from Brazil) but if I apply locale the result is:
    root@knoppix:/home/cezar# dpkg-reconfigure locales
    Generating locales (this might take a while)...
    pt_BR.ISO-8859-1... done
    Generation complete.
    root@knoppix:/home/cezar# locale
    LANG=C
    LANGUAGE=us
    LC_CTYPE="pt_BR"
    LC_NUMERIC="pt_BR"
    LC_TIME="pt_BR"
    LC_COLLATE="pt_BR"
    LC_MONETARY="pt_BR"
    LC_MESSAGES="pt_BR"
    LC_PAPER="pt_BR"
    LC_NAME="pt_BR"
    LC_ADDRESS="pt_BR"
    LC_TELEPHONE="pt_BR"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_BR"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_BR"
    LC_ALL=pt_BR
    even if I use #dpkg-reconfigure locales there is still the reference to the LANGUAGE=us...What else can I do, please. I thank you enormously for any possible help. Cezar

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    This might be too easy.... check the output of ` cat /proc/cmdline ` for a lang= statement ....if its not present then the system will override it with lang=us

    Probably it will take editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
    Find the localization section....

    It starts out like this:
    Code:
    ### localization
    # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language
    # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline
    # Default is now US
    LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)"
    [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="us"
    
    # The default language/keyboard to use. This CANNOT be autoprobed.
    # Most of these variables will be used to generate the KDE defaults
    # and will be inserted into /etc/sysconfig/* below.
    case "$LANGUAGE" in
    Notice all the sections are sepparated by ;; .... Youll need to add a section that looks something like this:
    Code:
    br)
    # Brazil
    COUNTRY="BR"
    LANG="pt_BR@euro"
    KEYTABLE="es"
    XKEYBOARD="es"
    KDEKEYBOARD="es"
    CHARSET="iso8859-15"
    # Additional KDE Keyboards
    KDEKEYBOARDS="de(nodeadkeys),us,fr"
    TZ="Europe/Madrid"
    ;;
    Be sure to add this section BEFORE the " esac " statement at the end of the function

    Unfortunatley I do not know the correct values for your locale... these values where taken from the spainish language set.... but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction....

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro Brazil
    Posts
    9
    Thank you very very very much I will try it and will inform you the result. Thanks again for your attention. All the best. Greetings from Brazil. Cezar

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    you are very welcome...

    also... I meant to add if its not obvious that once you have it edited... you will need to issue the lang=br cheatcode from boot

    If you will let me know the correct values for brazil I will also add them to my custom scripts as well


    Good Luck!
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. locale in Knoppix 6.2?
    By OErjan in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
  2. Help! Knoppix 4.0.2 CD upon bootup, changed my Hostname
    By Terry Kemmerer in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
  3. How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
  4. Got knoppix from a frien and i am a changed man
    By leq75 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:39 AM
  5. Knoppix changed my HOSTNAME env var?
    By kclawson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99