Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Rtorrent with kernel 2.6.19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    79

    Rtorrent with kernel 2.6.19

    The last week i detected some errors on video files (stargate atlantis new episodes), because I changed my Nvidia video driver for a new version (9631) I thought I catch the problem I was wrong.

    More & more video files were corrupted when playing showing artifacts & skip on sound. From 8MB files to 900MB the video files were always corrupted. In a moment or desperation I remember I get all my video files with rtorrent, going to the site: Libtorrent & Rtorrent has a good explanation what the problem was and how it can be corrected.

    Failed chunks with kernel 2.6.19

    Linux version 2.6.19 appears to have a bug in the synching of mmapped files, leading to large numbers of failed chunks when downloading a torrent. Using rTorrent with kernel 2.6.19 is not recommended, but if an earlier kernel version is not an option, make sure to enable the "check_hash" option and manually restart torrents until all chunks pass the hash check. Kernel 2.6.20-rc3 has fixed this problem, so this version and later ones should be safe.
    At first I try 2-3 download with the method, but many times the hash fails after a completed download, I didn't like wasting bandwith or time and need to re-start the torrent (many times manually) for a correct download.
    For example: a 354MB file when finished and after a check hash reveals a file with only 265MB and I must start the torrent again.

    So now I'm back to 2.6.18.

    I hope it help those who use rtorrent

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    That's an excellent writeup and post. I presume you are using knopix 5.1.1 which contains kernel 2.6.19.
    Have you tried kernel 2.6.20rc3 and does this cure the problems?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    79

    Debian Install Etch

    Didn't try the kernel 2.6.20rc3 (the part rc3 keeps me far away too) I'm happy at the moment with 2.6.18, and the problem had dissapeared with the 2.6.18 kernel
    Code:
    seyya@rommiebox:~$ uname -a
    Linux rommiebox 2.6.18-ck1nana #1 Sat Jan 27 19:55:26 ART 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble with knoppix-kernel.patch <-> any Kernel
    By -Hawkeye- in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99