Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: knoppix 5.1.1 booting fine but no X

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50

    knoppix 5.1.1 booting fine but no X

    Hi,

    Knoppix 5.1.1 boots fine on my desktop which surprised me as its the only livecd thats detects my dvd drive ... [jmicron drivers in kernel I guess]

    that said It gets to starting X screen goes blank get out of range message onscreen tried Ctrl+Alt+'+' [& '-'] but no joy

    going into console I get AIGLX error .... xorg is using nv driver

    Is there a cheat code to turn off AIGLX until I can get a working screen?

    [5.1.1 works fine on my laptop]

    If you need any more output let me know

    TIA

    MrG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    You can try the frame-buffer (it's definitely not accelerated), type eg "fb1024x768" at the boot prompt...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    frame buffer does not help... AIGLX is the problem I loaded a working xorg.conf [from my machine] still would not start get cursor but nothing else

    Can I run Knoppix without AIGLX ? or should I drop to a version that does not have it?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Ok I managed to get X working by using xmodule=vesa

    It flickered a bit before kdm started & screen res. is out [but thats not a problem]

    I'm in .......

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3
    Well you are doing better than I, I 1st installed 3.4 on my hard drive and had a lilo boot propmt for windows, linux, 3.4., 2.6, 2.4, and it all worked great. I downloaded 5.1 dvd and decompressed the file on my hard drive and it ran out of room. Now I am back with 3.4 just with the cd. I can't even boot a good cd of 5.1 and the DVD, forget about it!, I am tired of the endless hours trying to work out a solution. Why won't the dvd boot? help'''

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    You may be better off starting a thread of your own for help.

    I have used dvd versions of knoppix but not 5.1.1

    MrG

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3

    knoppx 5.1

    Thanks for your replies, I have reset my MBR which was preventing the bootup. Everything is as it should be. I only need to become more proficent with all of this great system, + c + other kernels and on and on. Its great to have started with this, have a good one everyone!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3
    I am walking on someone elses discussion and will no longer bother anyone about my system in your discussion

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    I only thought that if you started your own thread you may get more help

    Yes Knoppix is a great Distro my entry if you like in the Linux world never looked back, Windows free for many years now

    Enjoy Knoppix

    MrG

Similar Threads

  1. Have to use noudev when booting from USB but CD works fine
    By Krellan2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 03:51 AM
  2. Knoppix 5.1 locking up after booting up fine
    By Oldlock15 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 08:25 PM
  3. Knoppix 5.1.1 hangs on boot, 5.0.1 works fine...
    By aadster in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
  4. Booting is fine...but mouse doesn't work.
    By Amb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 07:48 AM
  5. Microsoft Office on Knoppix runs fine!
    By probono in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00