Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.1 locking up after booting up fine

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 5.1 locking up after booting up fine

    I can run the knoppix cd (V 5.1)on my hp laptop fine. It will boot and do everything I try. I downloaded and burned at the slowest Nero speed (4x) I could. MDA checksum is OK. When I try to run it on Sony VAIO desktop, it locks up. It boots up and I can open or start to open some of the programs. Then it locks. I can move the cursor but there is no response by the OS. The only thing I can do then is to turn power off to reboot. Can there be a problem with the CD-Rom drive or CD-RW drive? Is there any way to test the drives to rule out that possiblity?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    I'm having what sounds like the very same problem on my desktop. I posted in the boot forum. Haven't had any replies yet.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 5.1 locking up after booting up fine

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldlock15
    When I try to run it on Sony VAIO desktop, it locks up. It boots up and I can open or start to open some of the programs. Then it locks. ....
    If you have a gig or more of memory you could try the toram cheat code. That would load the entire CD into RAM at boot time, if it still locks up later that would indicate it is likely to not be a drive problem.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Have to use noudev when booting from USB but CD works fine
    By Krellan2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 03:51 AM
  2. knoppix 5.1.1 booting fine but no X
    By MrGreen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
  3. Knoppix locking up on boot
    By hobbes5683 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 04:43 PM
  4. THUMBDRIVE locking up Knoppix...........why?
    By TROLL1357 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. Booting is fine...but mouse doesn't work.
    By Amb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 40 Cores Unlim CAL Retail License Authentic picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 40 Cores Unlim CAL Retail License Authentic

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99