Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: another HD install problem

  1. #1

    another HD install problem

    I tried the first option of a debian type install and I received the error message;
    "...check DCOP service is running"-when KDE tried to start up.
    What is this DCOP and how do I get around the error?

    I have now installed with option 2-a knoppix install;
    This works but I only have the option of KDE.
    I read that with this install options/settings would not be saved on reboot-but they are-so I am a bit confused there??

    What about option 3-a beginner install-does that give all options?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    I would reccomend the Debian install.... the Beginner install is the next best thing


    This is a stab in the dark but I think you DCOP error is probably a permissions problem..try this:

    ***** FOR THE PURPOSE OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL WILL _ASSUME_ YOUR NORMAL USER NAME IS: chameleon *********
    ***** Please user your real normal user name in its place *********

    Boot the system in Text Mode (Runlevel 2 ( "2" cheatcode)).. login as root.

    issue the following commands:
    Code:
    chown root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix
    chown root:root /tmp/.X11-unix
    chmod 777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
    chmod 777 /tmp/.X11-unix
    
    chown -R chameleon:chameleon /home/chameleon
    Sometimes all the permission do not get set correctly by the installer.

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. HD DVD-install problem: LILO refuses to install
    By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
  2. 4.02 CD install problem
    By lotech in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
  3. Problem with HDD install
    By gravity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
  4. Another HD install problem
    By foraker_p in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. usb problem on hd install
    By gilljohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033 picture

Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033

$40.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$61.56



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99