-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
If you're comparing Knoppix and Debian then you are apparently thinking of installing a system to hard disk. See answer #2 for a pointer to the faq that explains why installing Knoppix is not a good idea..
I couldn't find the answer #2 you were referring to, but I assume you're talking about the security remarks in the Knoppix FAQ? I don't recall reading anything about why installing to HD was inherently insecure since it is supposed to be some sort of Debian install, but I can well understand that security of the HD install in not a priority for Knoppix developers.
...
Debian does have the problem of being an extremely slow to change system. If your computer is from the last century then Sarge/Stable might run on it well, but stable is too old for my liking. At the moment I use Etch and would suggest Etch for anyone considering Debian unless they want to be on the bleeding edge. In spite of the term "testing" I find it very stable. Etch was due to become the stable version last year, but as already said the Debian group is slow and an internal fude is delaying things further. I expect when there is a new testing I'll switch to that.
Does Etch get security updates via apt? I'm unclear about whether the testing security group does this. For the most part Sarge is fine for me, but I would like to use a later KDE and still get security updates.
There are a lot of Linux distros out there and you really have to pick your own. Some like Ubuntu; I con't see any merit to it, but maybe others find hardware support missing in Debian. It does seem to have a faster development cycle, if that's what you're looking for.
Apart from supporting my linmodem out of the box, I liked Ubuntu for similar reasons I like Knoppix - more up to date than Sarge and it looks like someone is adding an extra level of quality control/refinement to the standard release, however I'm uncomfortable with having a for-profit corporation behind the distribution which appears to diverge significantly more from Debian than Knoppix.
The stand-out reason to use Knoppix is obviously its portability. I'm curious how well this works in practise and what percentage of Internet cafes are happy to let you boot up your own O/S.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors
$290.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99