-
Booting problem - crc error
I have just burnt boot disc from KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso after checking the md5 as in faq.
However I have been unable to boot from the disc. I reburnt it at 2x speed and made sure burnt iso image etc, this was done from OSX. The disc itself seems fine however when debug is turned on knoppix fails when uncompressing linux.
I have tried a whole combination of boot options, with failsafe and debug I get the following:
Loading linux...........................................
Loading minirt.gz..........................
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux...
crc error
-- System halted
I am trying to get it going on Vaio notebook PCG VGN-FS660/W which wont boot XP for as yet an unknown reason, but may be a failed hardrive.
I noticed in some earlier posts, over 2 years, that the thinking on this sort of crc error is that the live cd has probably got a bad sector on it. If this is the case is there a way of checking this out? Unfortunately I don't have access to another cd burner or pc to test out.
Any ideas welcome
Thanks
poirot
decompressing linux at which point I get the crc error
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Sounds like you are indeed burning the disc as an iso, or you would not have got as far as you did.
You mention that the pc you are trying to boot on will no longer boot xp, and that maybe it is a hard disk failure. Maybe it's not the hard disk at all, maybe there is a memory failure (or some other basic system component). Try booting and at the boot prompt type memtest. Let it run a few passes of memtest86 to be sure the system is up to running anything.
-
Youre right. Just did the memtest, and not one pass just watching the errors stack up!
At least that means the hard disc is probably recoverable!
Many thanks.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Thanks for the confirmation. You seemed to have done a proper job making the disc, so when I couldn't account for how you would have a crc error I guessed that memory was bad, causing it.
Hope your disk is ok. If the memory failed hard and fast after windows was shut down then it may well be, but if the memory went bad while windows was writing the disk then you could have some problems.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By delfin13 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
-
By buji_ryu in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
-
By a_r_m in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-23-2005, 05:53 PM
-
By BasK in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 11:45 PM
-
By jason25 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99