Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to save to /var/www

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Unable to save to /var/www

    I am brand new to Linux (like you can't tell). I am trying to use the Knoppix LiveCD 5.0.1 to learn about Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I started apache and when I browse to localhost I get a blank screen instead of an error page so I beleive the server is running fine. The problem I am having is when I try to save a web page to /var/www I get the error "Access denied. Could not write to /var/www/".

    I know since I am using the LiveCD version /var/www might be on the cd and therefor read-only. My (obviously wrong) understanding is that I should be able to create /var/www on the Ramdisk which Apache would read from, but I also get an access denied message when I attempt this which seems odd.

    I imagine I am missing something very simple, but I have been searching for a solution to this for days now and have not been able to find one. Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you for your time,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Probably its just not writtable to the knoppix user. As root you should have write access

    Try this from a Terminal window (Konsole)
    Code:
    sudo konqueror /var/www/.
    This will run konqueror as root.... Try creating a directory or something with konqueror and if it works you can use this window to drag and drop files to

    Good Luck
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    That worked! I figured it was something simple, I just needed a nudge...

    Thank you very much,

Similar Threads

  1. Pendrive probs, multiple mounts of CDROM and unable to save
    By voteslave in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
  2. unable to save myconfig
    By happyhkv in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
  3. cant save changes to ip_forward
    By cspace in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
  4. Save to disk
    By Laz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 10:19 AM
  5. Run from FAT, save to FAT
    By magico in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



5 LOT - Polycom VVX411 Gigabit VoIP Desktop Business Phone 2201-48450-001 picture

5 LOT - Polycom VVX411 Gigabit VoIP Desktop Business Phone 2201-48450-001

$99.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99