Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to save to /var/www

  1. #1

    Unable to save to /var/www

    I am brand new to Linux (like you can't tell). I am trying to use the Knoppix LiveCD 5.0.1 to learn about Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I started apache and when I browse to localhost I get a blank screen instead of an error page so I beleive the server is running fine. The problem I am having is when I try to save a web page to /var/www I get the error "Access denied. Could not write to /var/www/".

    I know since I am using the LiveCD version /var/www might be on the cd and therefor read-only. My (obviously wrong) understanding is that I should be able to create /var/www on the Ramdisk which Apache would read from, but I also get an access denied message when I attempt this which seems odd.

    I imagine I am missing something very simple, but I have been searching for a solution to this for days now and have not been able to find one. Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you for your time,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Probably its just not writtable to the knoppix user. As root you should have write access

    Try this from a Terminal window (Konsole)
    Code:
    sudo konqueror /var/www/.
    This will run konqueror as root.... Try creating a directory or something with konqueror and if it works you can use this window to drag and drop files to

    Good Luck
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    That worked! I figured it was something simple, I just needed a nudge...

    Thank you very much,

Similar Threads

  1. Pendrive probs, multiple mounts of CDROM and unable to save
    By voteslave in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
  2. unable to save myconfig
    By happyhkv in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
  3. cant save changes to ip_forward
    By cspace in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
  4. Save to disk
    By Laz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 10:19 AM
  5. Run from FAT, save to FAT
    By magico in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh replaces 670-0269 Quadra 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2 picture

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh replaces 670-0269 Quadra 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2

$76.20



Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy

$24.99



Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model A2S2064 MPN A2S2064 picture

Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model A2S2064 MPN A2S2064

$105.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop picture

PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop

$120.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh M1212 Color Display Monitor *Untested* picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh M1212 Color Display Monitor *Untested*

$69.99