-
Unable to save to /var/www
I am brand new to Linux (like you can't tell). I am trying to use the Knoppix LiveCD 5.0.1 to learn about Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I started apache and when I browse to localhost I get a blank screen instead of an error page so I beleive the server is running fine. The problem I am having is when I try to save a web page to /var/www I get the error "Access denied. Could not write to /var/www/".
I know since I am using the LiveCD version /var/www might be on the cd and therefor read-only. My (obviously wrong) understanding is that I should be able to create /var/www on the Ramdisk which Apache would read from, but I also get an access denied message when I attempt this which seems odd.
I imagine I am missing something very simple, but I have been searching for a solution to this for days now and have not been able to find one. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
-
Senior Member
registered user
Probably its just not writtable to the knoppix user. As root you should have write access
Try this from a Terminal window (Konsole)
Code:
sudo konqueror /var/www/.
This will run konqueror as root.... Try creating a directory or something with konqueror and if it works you can use this window to drag and drop files to 
Good Luck 
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
-
That worked! I figured it was something simple, I just needed a nudge...
Thank you very much,
Similar Threads
-
By voteslave in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
-
By happyhkv in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
-
By cspace in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
-
By Laz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-29-2003, 10:19 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New
$1049.00