Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to disable swap file creation dialog on low ram pcs?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    How to disable swap file creation dialog on low ram pcs?

    Hi there, I'm trying to boot Knoppix 5.0.1 CD on an old Pentium 2 Laptop with just 32MB of ram.

    I choose the boot parameter knoppix desktop=fluxbox, or even knoppix 2 (since I don't want KDE), but no matter what I try, everytime when Knoppix is booting and starts scanning for the existing partitions, it displays the dialog that I have low memory, and in order to run big applications like KDE or OpenOffice, I should have more, and asks if I want to create a swap file.

    Then, I answer NO, but the computer locks up. The problem is, this Laptop has some HD issues (that's why I'm trying from a Livecd), and it seems to me that if I could skip this dialog from trying to scan the partition and creating the swap file, the boot process would not lock my computer up.

    Is there a way to bypass this? I really need this to get going, and just remembering, the HD is in bad shape, maybe corrupted (and that's probably what's causing this, who knows).

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    There is a noswap cheatcode that you could try, however you might be better served by a distro that needs fewer hardware requirements, dsl http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/, comes to mind.

Similar Threads

  1. Disable Knoppix-Configuration dialog box
    By remi+ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 05:55 PM
  2. how can i disable ramdisk creation after hdd install?
    By ckassab in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 03:24 AM
  3. disable dialog boxes in Mozilla
    By lueckmw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 01:25 AM
  4. Knoppix QT Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 12:40 AM
  5. Disable harddrive swap file on boot?
    By lgriske in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 06:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco C8300-1N1S-6T Catalyst 8300 Edge Router 6T Power On Tested ONLY  picture

Cisco C8300-1N1S-6T Catalyst 8300 Edge Router 6T Power On Tested ONLY

$999.00



Qty: 30 Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW / SEALED picture

Qty: 30 Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW / SEALED

$500.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



20 X  New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack picture

20 X New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack

$299.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99