SIDUX is using squashfs. I think it is not just modifying the minirt file. I suggest you see it yourself:
http://www.sidux.org/
However, I noticed that less packages can be put in a CD with squashfs.
Has anyone tried to edit the linuxrc in 5.1.1 yet to boot with squashfs? The conversations on the subject in the forums relate to earlier versions of knoppix. There are new and interesting things related to cloop:
I imagine that I would need to comment all of that out. There is also a section called "mount knoppix" I will need to revise that part as well# New in Knoppix 5.1: cloop preload cache
# Default values
case "$MEDIUM" in
*[Cc][Dd]*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=64" ;;
*[Dd][Vv][Dd]*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=128" ;;
*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=32" ;;
esac
# cloop improves seek performance when caching the directory index
# (first few MB) of each cloop file.
# Default values depending on ramsize, override with cloop_preload=numblocks at boot.
if test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 128000; then
# up to 128MB: No preload.
CLOOP_PRELOAD=""
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 256000; then
# less than 256MB: About 4MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=32"
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 512000; then
# less than 512MB: About 8MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=64"
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 1024000; then
# less than 1GB: About 16MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=128"
else
# 1GB Ram or more
# About 32MB w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=256"
fi
It is my understanding that /static ash is now a symbolic link to busybox. Can someone verify that? If it is not how could I make it such? I think that it is correct that Debian's version of Busybox supports filesystems >2 gig. LFS=y.
SIDUX is using squashfs. I think it is not just modifying the minirt file. I suggest you see it yourself:
http://www.sidux.org/
However, I noticed that less packages can be put in a CD with squashfs.
According to Thomas Matejicek ( http://www.slax.org )
squashfs can be patched with LZMA compression, so compressed filesystems are 30% smaller.
See also
http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/
Regards,
Mark Preston

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99