-
HD Knpx3.8.1, then later only get TEXT login promp FIXED
Hats off to Klaus and all the Knoppix developers for a wonderful wonderful work.
Their work helped me enter linux, and Knoppix HD install works GREAT! Thanks Guys!
My HD Hard Drive Knoppix Install of version 3.8.1 using knoppix-installer works GREAT!
This install was so easy, it just worked and I loved it that it actually worked.
After several weeks one day I booted up to find I had a text login prompt instead of the GUI.
I was lost. Eventually I remembered startx was the command for starting the X windows.
I tried startx and it didn't work. I tried kdestart and startkde and anything else I could think of and it didn't work.
I was lost and just tried a bunch of things and one of them gave me an error message (I don't remember now which one).
It said a temporary file needed to be deleted if I wanted to run X. AH-HHAAAA! Maybe I can figure this out.
I wanted to know which runlevel I was in so I entered the command runlevel and it told me 5, this was important in the future.
--- CORRECTION BY AUTHOR --- NEXT LINE IS INCORRECT (.../etc/init.d... should be .../tmp/X0.lock...). DO NOT DELETE /etc/init.d !!! ---
Incorrect line: I deleted the file /etc/init.d and re-booted and I had my GUI back! Wow! It worked, I actually fixed something, pretty proud of myself.
--- CORRECTION BY AUTHOR --- NEXT LINE IS CORRECTION: - Mike Colley - (Thanks to xicor and Justin for catching my error.) ---
Corrected line: I deleted the file /tmp/X0.lock and re-booted and I had my GUI back! Wow! It worked, I actually fixed something, pretty proud of myself.
I noted this info, but have since lost the notes.
Mind you now this is written by a newbie so I'm sure there are better ways of doing what I did.
I hope I remember exactly all the steps I did, I will try to relate them here.
I decided to make this fix permanent and automatically delete this file every time I booted up.
I like the nano editor so it is the editor I used
I clicked K and chose SYSTEM and KONSOLE and got a terminal (Black Text Box)
I changed to su by entering the command
su
next I entered the command
cd /etc/init.d
then I entered the command
nano del-xlockout
The text I put in this file was
echo Make sure the X lock file is deleted at startup
rm /tmp/.X0-lock
then I saved this file with CTRL-x and y
then I entered the command
chmod 755 del-xlockout
I double checked some of my work with the command
ls -al
to see it looked like the other entries, yes it did.
I entered the command
cat del-xlockout
and the text looked like what I wanted the file to look like
Note that above I remember I was in run level 5 so I went to the directory for that, I entered the command
cd ..
cd rc5.d
Now I don't know why or how this works, but I learned it a few months ago
The procedures that run for runlevel 5 occur in alphabetical order and in this directory. There are files S20... and S99...
These are symbolic links (no I don't know why)
I wanted to delete the tmp file as early as possible in the boot process so I made a symbolic link with this command
ln -s ../init.d/del-xlockout S15make-x-ok
I hope my memory didn't fail me here and I hope I didn't reverse the ../init.d/del-xlockout S15make-x-ok entries.
DONE!
I double checked some of my work with the command
ls -al
to see it looked like the other entries, yes it did.
Now every time I boot if this tmp file is there it gets deleted and the GUI starts.
If the tmp file is not there, it makes some small error message, but it works ok.
This was months ago I made this change.
By the way, this machine is still in service to this day Feb 3, 2007,
it is used and booted daily and works GREAT!
My experience with Knoppix 3.8.1 and the knoppix-installer to HD is that it just plain works.
Hats off to Klaus and all the Knoppix developers for a wonderful wonderful work.
Their work helped me enter linux, and Knoppix HD install works GREAT! Thanks Guys!
Similar Threads
-
By Wollongong in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
-
By minghai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-07-2005, 10:03 PM
-
By !phil in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 12:52 AM
-
By dklangst in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 08:04 PM
-
By torbu in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99