The orinoco gold is considered a very good Linux card, although I've never actually seen one for sale at any local retailer. See the wireless networking section of the wiki for more information on this issue.
I purchased an older laptop for messing with linux distro's its a Compaq Evo N400c, anyways i have a pcmcia card NETGEAR WG511 v2 and i have not been able to get it to work with Knoppix, or any linux distro for that matter. So what i was thinking is what PCMCIA Wireless network card would be best for Linux Distros. At this point im tired of messing with it..but i really want to have wireless access.. ... any suggestions would be great!..... I am a Linux Nubie!!
Thanks
Chris![]()
![]()
The orinoco gold is considered a very good Linux card, although I've never actually seen one for sale at any local retailer. See the wireless networking section of the wiki for more information on this issue.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Thanks for the info, i will check it out......anything else?
How about something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orinoco-Gold-Wir...QQcmdZViewItem
I hate the electronic bay of thieves with a passion, would never deal with them. But that does not seem to be a universally shared view. If you want to take your chances with them that's your call, but I find it hard to believe that you can't get something that will work a lot cheaper elsewhere and with a lot better chance that you actually will get what you pay for.
Knoppix support for wireless isn't great though, and 5.0.1 is a real step backwards; a NIC I have that worked under 4.02 will not work under 5.0.1. Other cards I have have never worked under Knoppix, but I found that they work under other Live CD distros like Mandriva just fine and use chip sets that are well supported in Linux. This isn't a big deal for me; I hard wire in my notebook most of the time anyway. But I can see it could be an issue for others. See the wiki artile that I mentioned for an explination of manufacturers changing chipsets that makes your question very hard to answer perfectly. I would even consider taking the laptop to a local retailer and seeing if he will let you try wifi cards to be sure you have one that will work, or at least buy locally with a full return policy with no restocking fee if they will not let you try under Knoppix before you buy.
You wouldn't deal with Ebay? or This Specific seller?
Ebay
Ahh Got ya... i can't say much.. i use ebay all the time...![]()
I picked up a netgear WG511T and it works in my new laptop off ebay for 30$ cdn. It's a ver 1 so it should be good.
Hello. With 5.01, the Linksys WPC11works.
IMF

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99