What do you mean by "full speed?"
And why are you "erasing" your flash drive through Knoppix???
I'd reformat it from another computer o_O
Hi, I have a 4GB Intenso Stick and want to install a bootable Knoppix on it. The stick is recognized by Knoppix 5.1.1. but, unfortunately, only with full speed. I canceled the erase operation because it was too slow. Windows formats this stick in seconds on the same computer, this shows that hardware is OK.
Any help? Thanks.
What do you mean by "full speed?"
And why are you "erasing" your flash drive through Knoppix???
I'd reformat it from another computer o_O
There are 3 different speeds for USB: slow speed with 187,5 Kbit/s, full speed with 12 Mbit/s and high speed with 480 Mbit/s. I am following the instructions on the KNOPPIX website (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key) because I first tried the HP Drive Key Boot Utility (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23839.html) and that did not work for me. I formatted the stick with this utility as hard drive and got a boot error.
The first step on the KNOPPIX site is a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdz. I let this command run overnight, it took 2787,7 seconds for a 4 GB stick. The speed was displayed with 1,5 MByte/s. Despite from the question if I can go another way to get a bootable USB stick I would like to operate USB sticks with KNOPPIX with high speed, i.e. with 480 Mb/s. This is not related to the task to format a stick.
that's very weird...
i'm running knoppix 5.1 on a 1 gig flash drive, and it runs perfectly well without any speed constraints o_O
why are you formatting your drive as a hard disk? why not just format it as a USB drive?
if i'm interpreting you correctly, it sounds like you're trying to get your computer to use the USB drive as a permanent hard drive, which is a bad idea
try downloading the HP USB Disk Storage Format tool and reformatting your disk to FAT or FAT32 (NOT NTFS)
then, download something like Damn Small Linux or another portable version of Knoppix that's specially made for USBs
download whatever OS you want, extract the contents to your flash drive, and double click "MakeBoot.exe"
seeing as you have a 4 gig, you should try for something BIG, like the Knoppix CD itself
i'm not sure if they have a USB version of that, though
Dear infoSEEK,
in order to have the desired high speed (480 Mbit/s) you should write as root :
modprobe -v ehci-hcd
This will "load" the required USB high speed kernel module, THEN normally you will get high speed 480 Mbit/s .
P.S. it is important not to have usb stick mounted when you modprobe ehci-hcd. Mount it AFTER and check it
Hope this help
Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
$400.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested
$499.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99