I have the Emprex DVDRW-1016IM and it works perfectly fine on Knoppix.
What name-brand IDE DVD writer should I buy so as to be compatable with Linux? I can't find anything guaranteed to work on a linux HCL at the local big box computer stores. Apparently the product model life cycle for DVD writers at the major chains is much shorter than the linux development cycle.
Looking at the SUSE HCL
http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/CD_and_DVD_Writer/Readers
and dropping those model numbers into eBay, I find one for about $50 plus shipping:
Plextor PX-740A 16X DVD RW DL DUAL BURNER WRITER
Any comments? I suppose a scsi DVD writer might have much less compatability problems.
I have the Emprex DVDRW-1016IM and it works perfectly fine on Knoppix.
I use an external LiteOn DVD writer SHM165P6S on a USB2 card.
works out of box on Knop5.1.1
older Knoppix work after fiddling K3B settings (set CD burn to mode 2)
-- Edit --
The only problem is K3B always burns the CD at max speed (40x for a 24x blank CD).
This caused at least one coaster when RAM was full, swapfile busy.
I have two internal DVD burners, a NEC and samsung, both work flawlessly in most linux flavours.
I also have IOMEGA (usb) and Plextor (usb+firewire) external burners, they are all found and more or less autoconfigured in k3b on knoppix, Debian and Slackware, OpenSuse and ubuntu they all had some trouble with the firewire but with some tinkering they worked.

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99
Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00