Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Invalid screen frequency

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4

    Invalid screen frequency

    Here's my problem:

    I boot from the DVD, and get the penguin pictures and system messages. And then the screen goes black, then starts to flicker, and then I get the message "INVALID SCAN FREQ." Then, after doing a hard reset, I briefly get the message "INVALID SYNC".

    I tried the cheat code "knoppix vsync=60 hsync=80" - it didn't work. I tried various other values besides "60" and "80". I tried setting the resolution to 1280x1024. I'm not sure what else to do.

    Monitor: Gateway VX900 CRT, connected to the computer through a VGA-DVI adapter. I usually use the resolution 1280x960, but it displays anything up to 1600x1200 (including 1280x1024) fine under Windows. I'm not sure how to check for the refresh rates it allows.

    Computer: Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 512MB Nvidia GeForce 7950GTOC graphics card, 2GB ram.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    Update: I tried using a different monitor, an LCD, and I got a similar message ("Input not supported"). So it looks like this isn't a monitor issue. The problem might lie with the dvd, I suppose, although I did the checksum thing and burned at 4x and all that.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    you didn't describe the video card
    make
    model
    type (pci/agp/on board)

    my dual head ATI 9600 does something like not using the second display option, something to do with drivers
    not sure about vsync, but the hsynch is usually
    60, 70, 72, 75, ...
    try a lower one without the vcsync

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    you didn't describe the video card
    I thought I did? The Nvidia 7950 is the video card, right? It's PCI.

    I tried lowering the hsync as you suggested, no luck.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    I've got it. I should've read the faq more carefully. I used the code vga=0, and it's working now.

Similar Threads

  1. Please help: Booting with a CRT: out of frequency problem
    By yourwickedwickham in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM
  2. Set desktop refreshing frequency
    By Mr.Jack in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 11:00 AM
  3. Frequency Overrange
    By Crystlnova in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 10:30 PM
  4. Out of frequency range
    By cbc_B in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. Frequency problem!
    By knoppers in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99