Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to boot Knoppix from existing HD image rather than CD?

  1. #1

    How to boot Knoppix from existing HD image rather than CD?

    Hi all!

    First of all, I am brand-new to Linux, so please be patient with my stupid questions.

    Some time ago I installed Knoppix (in Debian mode) on my old DELL Inspirion 7000 laptop. Now I'm trying to replace the old install with a newer version of Knoppix in Knoppix mode. I have created a disk image that I'd like to use automatically at boot time. However, it seems that I cannot boot into the newer HD image without the Knoppix CD in the CD-ROM drive! With the CD in the drive I am prompted to choose to boot up using the HD image or the one on the CD. Without the CD, however, the laptop boots directly into the old Knoppix/Debian install.

    What am I doing wrong? How do I replace the original install with the new one?

    Please spell out what to do step by step because I am still figuring out my way around Linux and am still weak in terminology. Thanks to everybody in advance!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6
    Do you use lilo or grub boot loader?

    In case you use lilo, you should adjust an entry in /etc/lilo.conf to include your new image.

    See man lilo(, lilo.conf(5) for more.

    With grub, add an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Hope this helps you a step towards the way out.

    Marvin

  3. #3

    Thanks!

    I'll give it a try. Thanks for your response.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot with CD -> can't write to existing ext3 HD-partition
    By leoneill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:48 AM
  2. Boot Knoppix from .iso image
    By funkymonk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 01:44 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.3 can't boot. corrupt image?
    By lindseyp in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
  4. Install to existing multi-boot partition?
    By tautges in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99