Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: access windows hard drive force del of dir

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4

    access windows hard drive force del of dir

    I am trying to delete a directory located on a windows hard drive. I booted into Knoppix via a CD and tried using the GUI but I receive the error unable to delete directory. I know that I can properly do this via the root account in a console window. Here is my problem, how do I access the Hard Disk (hda1) via the console window, which would enable me to see the files on the hard drive and how do I force a removal of that directory??

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    the FileSystem is NTFS; I am using Knoppix 5.0 and It appears on the Desktop as Hard Disk (hda1). Then when I double click on it Konqueror appears with the files on that hard disk.

    Ok I know realized that it was mounted and under /media/hda1. But when I go to use rmdir to delete the directory I get Read-only file system. How Can I force a removal on that directory?

    Second for future reference how can I mount a ntfs or fat hard drive?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    I discovered that if I right-click on the disk and select change to read/write mode I am able to delete files and folders on the NTFS Disk. But I am still unable to delete the Entire directory completely I get

    Could not remove folder /media/hda1/Documents and Settings/userprofile/
    Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/Accessibility.

    I am trying rm -rf <folder_name>

    I know that Linux has a was to force the deletion of a directory if even if it contains files. Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by cedtech23
    .... Any ideas?
    Have a very good backup of that entire partition and put absolutely no trust in anything you choose to store there in the future. I would delete the entire partition and reinstall everything from the backup. Now that you have writen to an NTFS partition with Linux I would not trust it.

    I couldn't tell from your posts, what made you decide to delete the directory on the ntfs partition with Linux in the first place?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    The reason that I started to use knoppix to delete a directory in windows was that I had a user profile
    that I could not delete using all the tools in windows. Thus I tried using knoppix. why is writing to a windows
    partition with Linux, no good?

Similar Threads

  1. How to access hard drive?
    By dealrocker in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
  2. Access hard drive?
    By martynball in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Slow access to USB hard drive
    By rafaelorta in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
  5. hard-drive access troubles
    By Colonel Sanders in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 04:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



Vintage GF2MX40064SAGP PNY GeForce-2 MX400 64MB VGA/ AGP Video Graphics Card picture

Vintage GF2MX40064SAGP PNY GeForce-2 MX400 64MB VGA/ AGP Video Graphics Card

$79.98



Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25" Floppy Disk Lot of 9 Single Sided Used

$49.99



Vintage Schlesinger 17

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC

$99.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72