Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: SuSE 8.2 Live-Eval CD recommended for X and LVM...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    SuSE 8.2 Live-Eval CD recommended for X and LVM...

    --Downloaded it, booted it. Makes a saved-session on your HD for subsequent boots, kind of like KPX persistent-home I guess.

    --I wanted to try it out for 2 reasons: better XFree86 config file using SaX, and LVM support. SuSE has a nice front-end in YAST (' yast ') for configuring LVM volumes. You have to search around for it in the menu tho.

    --Since I'm using VMware, I wanted better X video mode support than what Knoppix provides by default, so I ran ' sax2 ' and copied relevant parts of the XF86Config file that resulted into my XF86Config-4 file in Knoppix. Now I can run vmware in fullscreen mode again, which has much snappier response than in windowed mode.

    --LVM - once you have things setup the way you like in SuSE, you can reboot to Knoppix and run ' vgscan ' - the volumes will be autodetected. ' vgchange -y ' may be necessary as well. Then it's simply a matter of updating /etc/fstab and assigning the LVM device (mine is /dev/extralvm/extralvm) a mount point.

    NOTE of warning: I did lose data by experimenting. Had an existing partition with the 8e LVM ID standalone(not part of LVM at all), reiserfs. Wanted to put it into an LVM volume group and resize_reiserfs. Non-critical data, so I didn't back it up 1st. Tried to resize it back in knoppix, couldn't mount it. Had to mkreiserfs on /dev/extralvm/extralvm, which lost the data. BACK UP before experimenting!!

    --Good stuff tho. I wish SuSE would release their LVM frontend as a standalone product. I sprang for their 7.3 DVD and was running it on my server until about 3 weeks ago. Now the server is running Knoppix, and to be honest I don't miss RPM that much. apt-get RULES.

    --Bottom line - if you want a better X config file and/or LVM setup, try the SuSE 8.2 live cd.

    Here's one place you can get it:
    ftp://ftp.uniroma2.it/Linux/suse/pub...live-eval-8.2/

    SuSE mirrors:
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html

    --A cautionary note, tho - suse livecd is not as useful as Knoppix. It didn't contain ' mc ', updatedb, or ' activate ' - all of which would have helped, since I was restructuring the partitions as well.

    --Anyone else that has used suse livecd and wants to post their impressions can feel free to respond.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Well I think this is not the proper forum for suse live eval .Anyway I have tried it and did not continue using it in favor of knoppix for the following reasons:

    1. No active forum for help specific to the live eval. I tried google search but all I am getting are forums for suse itself with occasional mention of the live eval cd.

    2. I was unable to open my modem and was also unable to compile the drivers as I did in knoppix because of the absence of gcc.

    So knoppix it is!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Ah, well - I posted it here because using the live-eval in tandem with Knoppix can give you a better end-user experience. Such as a more complete X config, and a way to config your LVM with a front-end.

    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    Well I think this is not the proper forum for suse live eval .Anyway I have tried it and did not continue using it in favor of knoppix...
    [[snip]]
    So knoppix it is!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Not a bad idea - especially with regard to the X config file. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Eigene Live CD erstellen mit SuSE 9.2
    By mimatt in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
  2. SuSE 9.2 Live disc/ w/ Linux audio workstation focus
    By mzilikazi in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:47 PM
  3. Recommended Partition Settings
    By theGrbr_add_bridgeeaterBa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:58 AM
  4. SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix
    By BradC in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:11 PM
  5. Is it not recommended?
    By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


WriteNow 4.0 Apple Macintosh Mac Vintage 1993 Software Inner Box Sealed picture

WriteNow 4.0 Apple Macintosh Mac Vintage 1993 Software Inner Box Sealed

$70.00



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX picture

Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX

$850.00



VINTAGE IBM ThinkPad 570 Type 2644 13

VINTAGE IBM ThinkPad 570 Type 2644 13" Laptop Intel Pentium READ

$121.83



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$164.95



3Dfx Voodoo3 3500 AGP TV Cable Only Part No 220-0100-001 (RARE - Vintage 1999) picture

3Dfx Voodoo3 3500 AGP TV Cable Only Part No 220-0100-001 (RARE - Vintage 1999)

$99.97



Vintage WMC Microwave / RF Circuit Board picture

Vintage WMC Microwave / RF Circuit Board

$95.00



ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working picture

ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working

$74.99



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box

$100.00



Vintage Intel iPDS-100  Personal Development System picture

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System

$1499.99