Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hd install help / similar distro

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9

    Hd install help / similar distro

    Hi.

    I'm looking for a distro that I can install to my HD and detects all my hardware. My graphics card only works on Kanotix and Knoppix, but Kanotix has paused in developement. Sidux, however, does not detect it, and neither (now) does Mepis. I need a distro based on Knoppix that can be installed and updated to new versions.

    If I do install Knoppix to my HD, is there any way I can keep it up to date? Could I use the fromiso cheatcode and update from there? Or is there a Knoppix-based distro that has the hardware detection but is better for HD installs?

    Thanks,

    Oli

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Knoppix is a linux distrobution based on debian linux. There are other debian linux distro's out that have better hardware recognition and that are better suited for installation to the harddrive. Ubuntu is one of the popular distributions right now and it does include system updating.

    For a look at the various linux distrobutions , both debian and non debian , http://distrowatch.com/ is a good place to start.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the reply.

    Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't detect my graphics card - it only works on Knoppix. I have asked for help with Ubuntu many times but it never works . I can only get it working with Knoppix. Are there many installable and updatable Knoppix-based LiveCDs? Or is there any update-install like there was for Kanotix?

    Thanks again,

    Oli

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Well... once you install Knoppix to the harddrive it is basically Debian Etch..

    You can keep the installed packages upto date with the apt system...


    Once your install is complete... (Use the Beginner Type system for autodetection) Boot it up, login as root and do:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    In a terminal window.

    You will have a couple dependancy issues to work through that basically can be resolved by removing the offending package and then continuing. .... once the upgrade is complete the package can be reinstalled if it was something you needed.

    As far as updating the installation its self... Knoppix added the function to update a current install at 5.01 .. I havent tried this function but it basically just updates the packages on the installed system to the same versions thats on the CD (Best I can tell)... Its really not that bad to reinstall from scratch when going to a new version though..

    just backup /home/* to another drive or partition..... as well as any key settings from /etc/. ...... reinstall and then copy your files back into place.


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Oli, you should be able to install any recent distro of your choice, then copy the knoppix (or kanotix) auto-generated xorg.conf file (which you can find under /etc/X11).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Thankyou everyone for your help. I'm fairly new to Linux, so I'm avoiding apt for now, as I wouldn't like to have ongiong dependancy problems. Changing the xorg.conf from Knoppix to another disto would be difficult because I often can't get to the file to start with : wink : . Using the installation update from the CD method, could I download a later iso, then somehow boot from it? I know it was fromiso on the LiveCD. Is there a way to do it from a HD install?

    Thanks,

    Oli

Similar Threads

  1. Will "Knoppix" ever be a true HDD install distro?
    By 27floyd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 11:34 PM
  2. Looking for distro
    By Sass in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
  4. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  5. really small distro, backup distro
    By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK picture

32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK

$109.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50