This will probably only help with an installed-to-disk Knoppix:
# apt-get install vsftpd
Comes with very good documentation, and apt takes care of proper user id and home
directory.
I want to be able to setup a FTP directory for internal use that is not in a the knoppix home directory. Can someone tell me where are the files that are read to start up this server so that I can set up the right dierectory structure?
This will probably only help with an installed-to-disk Knoppix:
# apt-get install vsftpd
Comes with very good documentation, and apt takes care of proper user id and home
directory.
Is there no hope of changing the behavior of the default ftp server that comes with knoppix 3.3. I don't have it installed on my hard drive but I have copied the disk to my hard drive and that it where I boot from.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50