-
Trying to Retrieve Information
I'm trying to retrieve some photographs of my little girl on my hard drive that won’t boot up. It’s partitioned with five users. On placing my windows XP disc to repair its asking for an admin password, for some reason it’s not unlocking.
So a friend suggested using Knoppix to boot the hard drive and try and find a way to unlock the passwords. I've downloaded the software, boot disc, via Nero Express 6 and it goes through its "bit" and then stops, nothing.
There are a couple of questions,
1) Will this software help me get the photos back??
2) What I’m I doing wrong?
I'm worry that I’ll lose my information.
Any help
Many thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Trying to Retrieve Information

Originally Posted by
ade123007
..... It’s partitioned with five users. ..... I've downloaded the software, boot disc, via Nero Express 6 and it goes through its "bit" and then stops, nothing.
There are a couple of questions,
1) Will this software help me get the photos back??
Maybe, depends on many things. While Knoppix can often read partitions that Windows itself can't, it is certainly posiable to destroy the data to the extent that Knoppix can't, or even to have the disk fail completely. And if the special windows xp feature to encrypt the disk to keep others from reading the data was used, well, Knoppix can't bypass that (and in any other case you would likely be upset if it did).

Originally Posted by
ade123007
2) What I’m I doing wrong?
You're not giving us enough info to help you here. What do you even mean by "its bit"? There are a lot of common errors made in creating and booting a Knoppix disc for the first time, try reading the downloading faq and seeing if it doesn't already cover your problem (see the documentation link near the top of this page). After you get the disc booting you may also want to read the rescue faq.
Similar Threads
-
By aqol45 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
-
By adamj in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
-
By gail in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
-
By JPsDad in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:20 AM
-
By isalinas in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99